Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Banging/Clunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Banging/Clunking Noise

Hey Guys, Trying to find a noise coming from my car. Its a New noise and never did it before trans rebuild and New clutch. Sounds almost like a broken trannny mount and the trans is hitting the bottom of the car. Problem is the Energy Suspension Mount isnt broke. I even put a jack under the trans to see if there was any seperation in it and it imediately started raising the car. Things I have gone over is the U-Joints on a PST driveshaft, no play in them. Torque arm is tunnel mounted Chris Alston Unit and I couldnt find any play there either and greased the hell out of it while I was at it.

Thing is the trans was just rebuilt and I have a new Spec 3+ Clutch and Billet Flywheel. I have about 60 miles on it so far. Both the trans and the clutch are in the brake in stage. The clutch is quite jumpy and is taking some getting use to but this should not be making the banging noise coming from under the car.

Only thing I have noticed was when examinging the front U-Joint, I noticed that I could push up on the drivesahft going into the tail of the trans. It has enough play in it that I could get a gap between the rear seal and yoke of the drivshaft. The rear seal is also leaking which was never an issue before.

Any insight would be helpful, have a shootout to attend this weekend and dont want to sit it out.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Sure it isn't clutch chatter? Usually comes with aftermarket clutches and flywheels.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:02 AM
9 Second Club

you should not be able to move the drive shaft once engaged into trans and rear. I would pull the drive shaft out and look to see if you are missing the rear bushing in the tailhousing.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not missing the bushing in the tail. I talked with a few of the clutch guys and they think clutch chatter. If you don't have all of the 500 miles on both I would do that and then see if it gets better.

Also with a energy suspension mount you will have double the noise as with a stock one. The one we use to have was so loud we put a stock one back on the race car.

Amber