Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help Diagnose please - Powergrip HD

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Diagnose please - Powergrip HD

Ok I just got done installed my new heads and also put in a RAM Powergrip HD and RAM adjustable master cylinder, and also a prothane tranny mount.

I took it out for a test drive and can already tell I need to adjust the pedal up some but other then that here is what I can tell.

also keep in mind I am 1 qt low on the tranny but I only drove it like 4 blocks and back.

- To start with when the engine is running and clutch pushed in, it is hard as hell to get the shifter to go into any gear. It takes both of my arms to push it over to the right over to reverse because the stop doesn't seem to want to let go....

- When I am driving there is a slight whining sound, that's with the car in gear and just coasting so I can hear it slightly over the exhaust.

Is what I am hearing just clutch chatter? Does this clutch chatter alot and what/when does clutch chatter happen? I used a shim behind my slave cylinder that was provided by RAM. What's the deal with the shifter??? It seems to shift ok when you are driving but at a stop it is extremely difficult... not like normal at all... This isn't because of tranny fluid is it??
Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Did you check to make sure the reverse lockout is plugged in? Sounds like that might be why you can't get in in reverse. Clutch chatter does not whine it, well, chatters. Kind of like a rythmic thumping. It only happens when the clutch is engaging. Put another quart in there asap see if that helps.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Ok, i'm real tired right now plus O'reilly's closed at 10 so i'll update in the morning with my results... thanks for the quick reply, i'll check that reverse lockout.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6.Jay
Ok, i'm real tired right now plus O'reilly's closed at 10 so i'll update in the morning with my results... thanks for the quick reply, i'll check that reverse lockout.
You wouldnt have happened to have called summit today? If so I was the guy you talked to. If not I hope you get everything figured out.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Nah I didn't, I just finished this up like an hour or 2 ago so you guys were closed. Don't suppose what you discussed today would be able to help me would it??
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Ok well an update... added 1 quart and adjusted out my master cylinder and the issue with going into gears with the engine running seems to be solved but reverse is still WAY too hard to get into... any idea what this might be?? I checked and made sure the reverse lockout solenoid was plugged in and it is... help!
Old 10-23-2007, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

The plugs for cags (skip shift) and the Reverse lockout are the same.
Try switching them. Also could be the Fuse, I forget which one.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

so adding tranny fluid made it easier to get into gear?