Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problem with Mity Vac - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Problem with Mity Vac - Help!

I went to Advance Auto and bought a "one-man bleeder" kit, a Mity Vac with a different name, and I have run into a problem. I can not create pressure, ie no vacuum, when the whole setup it together.

When I attach the first hose to the pump and block off the end with my finger, I get a vacuum. If I connect the other hose that one and block off the end of the second, I get a vacuum with both. But if I attach both hoses to the fluid cup and block off the end that would go into the reservoir), no amount of pumping creates a vacuum. I even attempted to create the vacuum by putting the end into the reservoir as you would when you start bleeding, but came across the same no vacuum result.

I am 95% sure this means there is not a seal with the lid on the cup, but I am trying to find out if anyone else had this issue and what you would recommend to solve this problem.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure but, do you have that little hose on inside the cap and fluid in the cup? Did you try switching the hoses from one side of the cap to the other? I think it matters which side the pump is on...
Old 11-03-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I followed the directions with which side to put the pump hose on and which side to put the reservoir hose on, but it's not working. I suppose I could try swapping them just for the hell of it. I also tried it with various amounts of fluid in the cup.

I believe the reason it matters which side the pump is on is because there is a short hose inside the cup on one side, as well.

If you blocked of the end of your reservoir hose when the whole thing is hooked up with your finger, do you get a vacuum? I'm assuming it won't work without that vacuum.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Yep, I get vacuum when I do that...
Old 11-03-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I got frustrated, returned the one I had to Advance Auto, went to Napa and got a better one and am about to try it out. I get a vacuum now when I do what I just described. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I know not many probably care, but the issue ended up being that crappy piece of equipment I bought from Advance Auto Parts. I went to Napa and got an actual MityVac, so I was able to use this.

The strange part is that I got one air bubble to come out (nothing major, but something), but then when I released the pressure before pulling the hose, not all of the fluid that came out would go back in. So, I pulled plug, ended up filling the reservoir, and still had a bunch in the tube from the master (????).

The pedal felt SOFTER after this, so I pumped it a ton of times to check if it would get work in but it didn't seem to get much better. I decided to take it for a test drive and after 15-20 minutes or so, it seems to feel fine again (just like it did before I did anything).

It shifted really well 1-2, alright 2-3 (always been a bit fussy), and alright 3-4, so I guess I can't complain. I was hoping for a better result on the 2-3 and 3-4, but it feels pretty much the same as before.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Don't get discouraged, it sometimes takes a few times with the vac to get all the air out.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

To be honest, I'm kind of afraid to do it again. I don't want to end up removing more fluid from the system and not being able to get it back in. Did anyone else ever experience this?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

Joe, you will need to do it a few more times. We can mess with it on Thursday at Jay's house. Since you got it to work, maybe I can try it out and see what it does for me. Since my bleeder on the trans is fubar'd
Old 11-04-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I'll bring it Thursday. Remind me if you remember (not that I'd forget....).
Old 11-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Internet Mechanic

Just dont forget the fluid...

Quick Reply: Problem with Mity Vac - Help!