Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I have a big problem i need help fixin! please read asap.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a big problem i need help fixin! please read asap.

Alrighty fellas, heres the scoop. I just get done dropping a friend of mine off at his car and i thought i'd do a nice smokey to show off. nothing too big though. well... when i dump the clutch, the motor twisted over( of course) and then all of a sudden, my damn shift lever totally comes loose from the trans!!! At first i thought i was about to be walkin. but i was able to snap it back into place and limp it home.
So... can anyone tell me the following??
1. Why did that happen at all?

2. am i going to have to buy a shifter?

3. If no new shifter, how do i take off the center console to get to the shifter so i can bolt it back in place?? (biggest question i need answered)

Now mind you, it's just the lever that came lose, not the whole shifter (as far as i know). so if anyone could help me fix this problem, that'd be great.
Thanks. oh by the way my car is a 99 camaro ss with a t-56 trans. hurst short throw shifter
Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so the stick just came off? im kinda confused on exactly what happened?

if the shifter is still bolted into the tranny and the stick came off you should be able to bolt it back to the shifter...installuniversity.com has a good step by step write up on how to remove the center console in about 5 mins.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 11-05-2007, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

ya thats really the quick and ugly version of it. it just came off in my hand. i snapped it back on to get home, but if i lift up on it, it comes right back off...
Old 11-05-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is just the stick and the base isnt broken just buy you a short stick from one of the sponsers
Old 11-05-2007, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

The stick just came loose from the shifter. I git it all fixed up this morning, thanks everyone for the help!