Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Information for the Do It Yourselfer

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Information for the Do It Yourselfer

Okay guys many of you email me and pm me on the boards with tons of questions. Here is a quick list of questions you ask with the most common answers we give.

1. If I change the following do I have to check clearance on my transmissions? Gears- YES, Bearings- YES, Sliders- NO, Keys- NO, Blocker Rings- I WOULD

2. What would you replace if there are no problems in the trans you just want something stronger? Use the carbon blocker rings, billet 3/4 shift keys, bronze fork pads and steel fork. Tear it down and evaluate the rest of the parts as needed.

3. Can any shop build a t56 or service it? With the right tools and knowledge yes. Be cautious as alot of shops have done one or two and are not as familiar as others. Do your research is the best idea.

4. What tools are needed to rebuild it myself? T40 torx bit, snap ring plyers, 15mm socket, 15mm wrench, press for taking off bearings and installing gears, torch for taking the T40's loose, bearing splitter if replacing bearings and a modified 2 jaw puller for removing the 5/6 driven gear. Keep in mind sometimes you do not need the puller but on most occasions you do.

5. Can I do this myself? YES. With patience and time anyone can. Download the manual and read over it. The hardest part is aligning the forks when reassembling the transmission.

If you guys have any more questions just post them up. I will add them with the answers like I do on my other informational pages.

Thanks,
Amber
Six Speeds Inc.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats some good info Amber!

For those who don't want to risk breaking the 5/6 gear when pulling it, Kent Moore offers the proper tool made for the job. PN: J-39431 for about the same price.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:05 AM
FormerVendor

Kent Moore does but alot of my customers say they are hard to find. That is why making it usually is a little better.

Amber
Old 11-07-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Which is cheaper for an out-of-state buyer, pay for shipping their tranny to you and shipping for the rebuilt tranny back, or just paying core charge?

Core is about $500, I was told. I'm from Illinois, Zip code 62439.

Just trying to figure out whether it's worth it to A.) pay for a core charge Vs. shipping, and B.) get a tranny from you guys (or anyone on the Internet), or to get it all done locally.

Getting harder and harder to get into 3rd on a hard throw.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Sharpe,

Just got off the phone with you. Hope I answered all of your questions. If you got any more feel free to post up.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 11-07-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, thanks a lot!

Looks like it's always going to be a few Benjamins more to pay for a core instead of shipping, which is less than I thought it was going to be. I think we said shipping was only going to be a grand total of $220.

Great talking with you!

--Sharpe