Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bolting up gearbox problem..

Old 11-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolting up gearbox problem..

Currently installing L76\T56 in a cobra replica. Dont have clutch yet, but going to mock up on the chassis so I can continue with the build - and then pull apart to install clutch before the body goes back on. Pulled the auto flexpate off and botled up the T56, whinched her up and oil stated pouring out through the engine main seal into the bell housing as it came up on the angle - obviously something is not right here - What have I dont wrong
Old 11-09-2007, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like the input shaft pushed the plug in that's in the rear of the crank, (just behind the pilot bearing). Did the tranny slide into the bellhousing or did you have to pull it on with the bolts?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Teching In

yep it didnt slide straight in - so maybe thats what I have done. There looks to be heas of clearance though, so Im not sure how I stuffed it up - so how do I fix?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

If that is what happened, you'll need to replace the freeze plug in the crank, (the LS cranks are hollow), Pull the tranny off and look in through the pilot bearing. If that's where the problem is, you should see oil in there. Search through the manul trans section, I know others have had this problem.

Sounds like a fun project. I alomost did a Factory 5 a few years back...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Teching In

OK - tranny is back off, I dont have a pilot bearing yet - (no clutch). The plug (silver metal right) looks to be OK - Is there a way to measure? when I tip the engine back oilpour out from around the crankshaft (thgouth bolt holst etc)- but not through the middle.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Man you are quick... Don't know if you can measure it but, if it's leaking, you should see oil in there. How's the rear seal? Do you know if there was a leaking before you put the tranny in?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Teching In

It looks to be about 1.5" in fron the bolt up face for the flywheel, and from a quick search of the forum is should be 1.25". The main seal should be right - its a new engine - but I dont know if it was leaking before hand as I never had the engine tipped back on an angle before. So how do I get it out now? Thanks for your help by the way - man you must be up late - (Im in Sydney - OZ)
Old 11-10-2007, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

I've heard, never done it, but I've heard of guys being able to pop them in so that they are loose, and then pull 'em out with pliers... I'd find out though before I tried that. I did see a pic on here of that plug leaking. Sorry I can't remember where. That would be a good thread for you...

Hey, it's only midnight here in the Midwest US and it's Friday... Couple more pints and I'll be asleep...
Old 11-10-2007, 04:24 AM
Teching In

Got it sorted - Really stupid mistake that I would feel embarressed to reveal! Cheers

Search this Thread