Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hurt my tranny last night

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurt my tranny last night

i was out in orlando last night with some friends at 33rd and was grabbing some gears with the fellas. i decided to race a 04 cobra so we ligned up.

after we hit it i shifted into first fine, second was great, but third gear grinded like a ****... i realized i lost the race and let off... tired to put it in 4th and nothing. just kept grinding. tried 5th and the same thing. i was like wtf!!

i pulled over to slow down and i was at a standstill, tried to put it in first and it was ginding... all the way home the car worked good in 1st-4th but 5th-6th i heard the grinding/swhishing/rubbing noise and im not sure what it is. while in 5th gear i pushed the shifter farther into 5th and the noise got louder..

any suggestions?? its a 2000 M6 Trand Am

thx, Chris
Old 11-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Sounds sorta familiar, cept I didn't have 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I ended up just getting it built. Took it to SixSpeedsInc and they found out my counter gear was fubar'd. So I had to jump up to a stage 4. Could be sliders or something smaller broken though. Its just hard to tell without taking the trans apart.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:39 PM

i have a grinding noise in 5th and 6th this happened before and after my tranny rebuild does urs only happen when your on the gas?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Teching In

yea i hear the noise when im on the gas.. i took the plug out today for fun to make sure it was full of tranny fluid. the fluid came out without pounds of metal shavings...

im hoping that this isnt a big $$$$ expense so i can fix it on my own.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Teching In

if its cheap enough i might want to just get it rebuilt but im not sure... how much does a usual rebuild cost.. i dont plan on putting in high cost parts but if i can make it a lil stronger for not too much money, id love too..

any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have to talk to sixspeed.inc about their stage one build thats what i plan on going with..just cant remember how much it is..or what all comes with the stage one
Old 11-18-2007, 11:35 PM

i spent 3k
Old 11-19-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grandsport96
if its cheap enough i might want to just get it rebuilt but im not sure... how much does a usual rebuild cost.. i dont plan on putting in high cost parts but if i can make it a lil stronger for not too much money, id love too..

any suggestions?
I just paid sixspeedsinc for my tranny being rebuilt. I only needed the 1a package which is the first one $950. However my total cost was $1300 as a few additional parts were added. Also be aware that I had free shipping which is no longer available. Shipping runs about $60 one way, and if you have any questions about rebuild make sure to ask for amber at sixspeedsinc. Maybe ull even want to tear it apart yourself and order parts from them if ur up for the job?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Teching In

i just dont want my car to be sitting around collecting dust, but im definately up for the learning experience.

i know to take pics and video and all that but im still nervous on the whole idea because all ive ever pulled apart was autos so this is a whole different world to me. real street performance wanted $300 plus parts to fix mine..

is that reasonable?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by grandsport96

any suggestions?
I had mine built and they basically just used my housing with just about all new internals and it was 1900.

Do they actually know whats wrong with your trans? Id say that if that was including parts the is pretty reasonable, but I think that would be just their labor.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

There's a Mustang shop in Orlando that does a really good job on T56 rebuilds at a fair price. Send me a PM if your interested.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Restricted User

I wanna get mine rebuilt...cause I bought the my car used...and something about the tranny don't feel right...some braud owned the car before me....probably couldn't drive...(not to insult women drivers or anything)
Old 11-19-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

i had a similar problem man, cant know for sure until some oen tears it down. mine had a few problems and i got it rebuilt and a new clutch put in (might want to consider getting that done if you have the trans out) the rebuild and install cost me 950.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Teching In

i definately plan on getting the clutch upgraded to ls7 but im still looking for a reasonable rebuild kit.. im deeply considering doing it myself because i want to learn and ive saved enough incase i totally ruin the trans but im so lost on where to go for the kit..
Old 11-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Dude the same exact thing happen to me on the freeway last night too. Except it does it in every gear on my thing and i all i did was step on it for a split second. I don tlike this post. I was hoping it was just a clutch. DAmit
Old 11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Teching In

yea me too but ive just decided to replace the input shaft to viper spec, a stage 2 clutch, bronze shift forks, and new syncros..

Quick Reply: Hurt my tranny last night