Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installed new master, now no engagement

Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed new master, now no engagement

A few weeks ago I noticed that my clutch wasnt engaging properly, so I checked the fluid. It was black so I flushed it out and refilled it. After that it slowly started to leak out, but was still driveable. As long as I kept it full it would drive fine. I bought a new Ram adj. master thinking the master was bad since it would empty out after every time I drove it. Put the new master in on Friday, did the drill mod and bench bled it before hand. Assembled everything and made sure the reservoir had fluid it in and the line was in all the way on the slave, went to feel the pedal and almost no pressure. I've played with the adjustments alot and have a little more pedal now, but it wont go into gear. I've bled it twice now and had alot of brake fluid go through the system, and still nothing. Is there something I am missing here?? If it was my slave going bad wouldnt it act the same with a new master?? I dont get it, old parts leaked but worked, new part doesnt leak and doesnt work. Anyone care to shed some light on this for me??
Old 11-19-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion was going to be make sure the line is seated all the way in the slave. But...you said it was.

When you did the drill mod, did you flush the line out really really good with some brake fluid? Got all the little chips out and all?

I might try unhooking the master line, and feeling the pedal then. It should be really stiff and almost impossible to push in the master cylinder. If it goes right to the floor easily, then something is screwy in the master. If its stiff, then Ide be looking at the slave cylinder at that point.

J.

P.S. That advice is assuming you bench bled and are system bleeding properly and actually have all the air out of the system.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:18 PM

Thumbs up vacuum pump

you need to draw the air out with a hand vacuum pump like accutron or mityvac. just attach the pointy adapter on the end of the hose, stick the pointy thing into the hole on the bottom of master cylinder reservoir and pump up to 15 inches of vacuum, make sure you have fluid in reservoir. hold the vacuum for 20 seconds and then release vacuum by pressing the vacuum relief valve on side of vacuum pump, then pull pointy adapter out of hole and the fluid should get sucked down a bit replacing the air with brake fluid. do this 3 or 4 times and you will be all set to go. when using vacuum pump dont hook up the jar that they give you, just hook up the vacuum pump direct using just the clear rubber hose and adapter and dont let fluid go into vacuum pump.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm gonna give it one more shot tonight and try out both techniques, luckily a co-worker has a vacuum pump so I'll get that from him. I appreciate the help and will post up later tonight or tomorrow if I find anything.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tried to fix the problem again tonight and it finally holds pressure........for about 5 seconds. I can't figure out why but it seems to be leaking and I am afraid that it is the slave. The part that sucks is there is no possible way for me to drop the tranny myself, and i don't have the money to take it to a shop. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the normal labor charge is to replace a slave cylinder??
Old 11-21-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know what the charge would be... But I do know that removing everything will be wayyy more than actually replacing the part. Lots of guys remove their tranny in their driveway without issue. You really just need jack stands...and a buddy and alittle bit of patience. Its not too bad..plenty of write ups floating around.

But maybe call around to some local shops and get some quotes...might not be too bad...

j.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

I think having a shop will do it for around 400 for the labor. Look through the sponsors. I'm getting mine done at FX for $275. Installing new flywheel, clutch, slave and master.

Search this Thread