Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How do I adjust a Mcleod clutch master cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with mcleod MC

just like the title states. lol today I went to take drive in my car and the clutch pedal has about 1-2in. of travel before the clutch engages. I have a mleod adjustable MC. the car was fine 3 days ago. now I have this problem. is it possible that the master cylinder needs to be adjusted. I already checked fluid level, it was fine. thanks guys Jim

Last edited by Jimbow; 12-17-2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-25-2007, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would adjust the rod on the MC so that it engages right about even with the brake pedal or to wherever you like it, but that's a good starting point. If it starts acting up after that or goes back to engaging funny you probably will have to rebleed which hopefully you did after you put in the new MC.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

I did not install it myself a specialty shop did the install. its been fine untill today. how do I bleed the MC and is the adjustment for the MC inside or under the car? thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

The adjuster nut is inside the vehicle. Look at your clutch pedal under the dash and you can see a rod connecting to it. There will be a nut on the end with a eyelet on the end, loosen the nut and adjust it in or out by just screwing in or out. To bleed it you will need a friend to help you. One underneath the car and one working the clutch. If you look at the transmission you can see a steel braided line coming into it. Just above it will be a whole with the bleeder valve inside of it. Use a 7/16" socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet to open and close it while you bleed it.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Unfortunately, this is something that happens with the McLeod sometimes. When I first installed mine, I adjusted it where it needed to be. I had the car up on jack stands, and put it in gear and pressed the clutch in to make sure it fully dis-engaged. Everything seemed great! Took her for a spin, and it was awesome!

Now fast forward to a few days later. I get in the car, and push the clutch in, and there is excess free play before the master began to actually move fluid. I was confused. I pumped up the "free play" by pressing it in ONLY the amount that was "loose", which wasnt pushing it all the way to the floor, only a few inches max. This solved the problem, and it did this every once in a while.

I contacted McLeod, and talked to Fred. He had never heard of such, and was mind boggled by it. He said to send it back if I couldn't get it figured out. Well that was over a yr ago, and I can't remember the last time I had that occur.

I would try doing what I just said, see what happens, and go from there. Now I know this shouldnt happen at all, but, it's better than nothing. Maybe try calling McLeod and see what the say about it now. I'm sure more cases like this have happened since mine. Ask for Fred, he was very nice.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys.** Im gonna call mcleod tomorrow
Old 11-28-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue98Z
....loosen the nut and adjust it in or out by just screwing in or out.
So you loosen the nut, and twist the rod itself to screw in or out?

My pedal has a lot of excess play before engaging (depending on the temperature of the car). Cold = Lots of play Warm = a little bit of play
Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows
So you loosen the nut, and twist the rod itself to screw in or out?

My pedal has a lot of excess play before engaging (depending on the temperature of the car). Cold = Lots of play Warm = a little bit of play
Make sure the line is off the headers or exhaust. braided or not, heating up the line will effect the seals in MC. If you mess with the dust boot and fluid appears, the MC is shot. The dust boot is inside the car by the pedal...LOL
Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I pulled the dust boot already. There was a thin residue on the rod, but no accumulation or puddles anywhere. Just a light lubrication. Is that bad?
Old 12-02-2007, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

I bled the MC 2 days ago. and drove the car that night everything was fine. then I wen too drive it today and I had the same problem... does the MC just need to be adjusted?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jimbow
I bled the MC 2 days ago. and drove the car that night everything was fine. then I wen too drive it today and I had the same problem... does the MC just need to be adjusted?
It's possible. Where is the clutch pedal in relation to the brake pedal? I understand it should be just forward (toward the driver) relative to the brake. If it's not, you should adjust the rod end on the master outwards towards the driver.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

it is just above the brake pedal (toward the driver). so it does not need to be adjusted? what else could it be?
Old 12-15-2007, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

ok I spoke to mcleod and they told me to use a mighty-vac to bleed the MC. I have done that and I am still having this problem. I drove the car yesterday and it was ok at first, then it went back to having about 1in. of play before it would start to disengage and continued to get worse the more I pressed it in . and have a sloppy feel . I pressed the pedal down the amount it was loose and it would tighten up as if there was nothing wrong. so Im asking for your opinions,experiences anything will help. thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

ok I spoke to mcleod and they told me to use a mighty-vac to bleed the MC. I have done that and I am still having this problem. I drove the car yesterday and it was ok at first, then it went back to having about 1in. of play before it would start to disengage and continued to get worse the more I pressed it in . and have a sloppy feel . I pressed the pedal down the amount it was loose and it would tighten up as if there was nothing wrong. so Im asking for your opinions,experiences anything will help. thanks
That's what mine did when I first got it. Without warning it would get that extra free play. When I talked to McLeod about it over a yr ago, they didn't know what to do then. I just pumped the free play whenever it would appear, and knock on wood, it finally quit coming back

I know that's bullshit, but it's all I could figure out, and they weren't any help in solving the issue. At least they were nice when I talked to them...
Old 12-16-2007, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

I thought about it more. And realized that it started happening when it the weather started getting colder. Im not sure if you noticed it when the weather started getting colder or not. if anyone else has any input please add... thanks
Old 12-20-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

just like the title states. lol today I went to take drive in my car and the clutch pedal has about 1-2in. of travel before the clutch engages. I have a mleod adjustable MC. the car was fine 3 days ago. now I have this problem. is it possible that the master cylinder needs to be adjusted. I already checked fluid level, it was fine. thanks guys Jim
I'm having the same exact problem right now!

Quick Reply: How do I adjust a Mcleod clutch master cylinder?