Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

confused about the affect of adjusting the mcleod adjustable master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default confused about the affect of adjusting the mcleod adjustable master cylinder

I've been having some issues with my clutch slipping (still trying to determine if:
-at first I noticed my clutch slipping in higher gears
-then I noticed that my clutch feel was really light the first half of the
clutch pedal travel

I thought my second issue may be that the master cylinder needed to be adjusted so I adjusted it and the engagement point ended up being very close to the floor. Didn't improve either problem. I ended up removing as much fluid as I could, cleaning out the inside of the master cylinder resevoir, replacing the fluid and pumping the pedal many times. I probably still should bleed the system but it fixed my second problem.

Now the engagement point is at the top of the pedal travel. I tried to adjust the rod legth but it doesn't seem to help.

Shouldn't changing the rod length change the engagement point? I did a search and a lot of people have said that it doesn't affect the engagement point but the amount of the engagement/ pedal travel. Seems to me that if the master cylinder is stationary that shortening the rod would move the engagement point towards the floor assuming that it's working properly.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if the disc is done & slipping you may net be able to move the engagement point much.
A worn disc gives the pressure plate a little less distance needed to move to release it.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That may be the case. I probably wore the clutch out prematurely because I never spent the time to get the motor to run well (at least as far as the idle goes) so I slipped the clutch alot taking off from a stop. In hind site that was a mistake.

I ended up ordering a new clutch. I was hoping to wait because I'd like to do a new motor would have liked to do it at the same time.

Thanks for your help.