Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anything to watch out for when buying a used T56?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anything to watch out for when buying a used T56?

Hey, I'm lookin to buy all the parts I need to convert my auto to a T56. I found a guy that has everything I would need and probably gunna go take a look at everything this weekend.

Is there anything in particular I should look for or watchout for?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides the obvious cracked case, leaky seals and the like there's really not much you can tell unless you take it apart and inspect it. If I were in your position I would upgrade the 3/4 shift fork to steel, get billet shift keys, and inspect the synchros/gears while you're in there doing the work.
There was an old and new slave cylinder design. You can't get the old slave anymore. Depending on the number of miles on the setup I'd seriously consider replacing the slave cylinder with a new one to be safe.
As for the clutch the only thing you can really do is mic it for thickness and use a straight edge to check for flatness. A visual inspection of the hub and disc will reveal any major problems. Personally I would never purchase a used clutch.
Pressure plate and flywheel inspections are the same as the clutch. Visually inspect for excessive burn marks, check for flatness, look for cracks, and inspect the gear teeth around the flywheel. Again, these are two parts I would never purchase used.
I'm sure everyone else will have some more things, but that should get you started.

Quick Reply: Anything to watch out for when buying a used T56?