Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new clutch setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new clutch setup

Hey guys, i have an 02 SS and i plan on upgrading my clutch and pressure plate in the near future but, I have a few questions. What clutch to go with, i was thinking a spec 3+. Also which pressure plate? What is the difference between a flywheel and a pressure plate? And also what hydraulics should i upgrade while im at it? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Launching!

If you go with a spec 3+ clutch kit it will have the pressure plate with it, but no flywheel. The flywheel actually bolts to the crank of the engine, then the clutch disc, and finally pressure plate that is bolted over the disc to the flywheel. The flywheel is stationary, other than engine rotation. The pressure plate mashes the disc to the flywheel when ever the clutch peddle is in the up position, which gives your forward motion when driving. The pressure plate consists of springs that clamp down on the clutch disc and is disengaged but pushing in on the fingers from the trans side.

I would probably just leave the stock master and replace the slave cylinder with a new OEM piece.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok that clears it up for me thanks. Is the spec 3+ a good setup? Also my car is my DD but, occasionally ill bring it to the track, do i want the lighter aluminum flywheel or the steel flywheel? I know the the aluminum would rev up quicker and probably help me better in the top end but, the steel would probably get me off the line a little better. Which one should i get? Thanks nick.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Yes the spec 3+ is a great clutch. I've talked to alot of people using it and they couldn't be happier. I wanted a new flywheel when i got my new clutch and was stretched for cash so I went with the LS7 clutch. I love the LS7clutch. Very smooth, and firm engagment. I'm not really sure what kind of Flywheel you should go with, just because all I've ever ran was a steel and they work great for me. I know you may rev faster with an aluminum flywheel,but it will be only a very slight difference. With a steel it will hold the RPM a little longer for a high RPM shift.

These are just my opinions, others may disagree.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, Thats what i figured about the flywheel, ill just go with the steel one, its a little cheaper. I only have 23,000 miles on my car and since its an 02 should i replace the slave or can i just get by with the one thats in it?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Launching!

My slave had been replaced about 20k before I did my new trans/clutch, though a GM service contract, and it was already making some strange noises and had a horrible groove on the bearing. My suggestion is to use your judgment on the slave, take it out and examine it check the throw out bearing for a groove in it and if it makes an noises when turning the throw out bearing. In the long run you will most likely be better off just changing it. Its a little insurance from having to drop the trans again.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ill just change it while im in there. Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: new clutch setup