Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch wont release

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default clutch wont release

I am having problems with my clutch not releasing. the travel of the pedal, feels like crap, it has 2" of loose travel, and the last half it gains in resistance to the floor where it was starting to get real stiff.
the clutch is a spec stage III+, I used the supplied shim with the kit ( searched and fund some dont use the shim)
i have a mceod bellhousing i figured i would definatly need the shim. Its 1/4" deeper than stock. and a new gm master cylinder

Ive bleed the hell out of this thing but the pedal cant disinguage the clutch.
does anyone know the correct distance between the pressure plate and the T.O. bearing? I think i need more shims, anyone know where i can get some? might have to make one...
Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where does the pedal release/engage? Can you shift gears? The fact that pressure build as the pedal is depressed sounds like a hydraulic issue but letsmake sure we are on the same page before assuming. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

i put an aditional 1/4" shim behind the slave to make up for the mcleod bellhousing, now it starts to disenguage at about 3/4 pedal high, but still will not disenguage
Old 12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

I can get into gear, Even with the 1/4" shim behind it, it still acts the same, pedal feels equal resistance from 3/4 pedal down to the floor, but the bastard still wont disenguage\

i have the spec shim and the 1/4" shim in it right now, it got a little better, but still cant run it.

im assuming the lt1 clutch pedal is identical to the ls1 in the movement correct?

if so i bet that slave is messed up...
Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

I put the new slave in, the pedal feels great but still wont release the clutch, Now im pretty sure its that my lt1 pedal can not push the ls1 master cylinder in all the way to release the clutch.

ill have to come up with a fix.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

ok the lt1 clutch pedal assembly must be different than the ls1, because with the ls1 master cylinder bolted up with the lt1 pedal, there was not the correct ammount of throw that could be achieved before the pedal hit the floorboard.

followed the sticky, did the adjustable master cylinder mod. It works now, it seems i needed a little over 3/8" of extra travel in my pedal to get the clutch to disenguage properly.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:58 PM
FormerVendor

To be honest I have never looked at the pedal assemblies on these cars side by side. But, the Master's are different...it is certainly possible that the pedal is too. Let me know what you find. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:32 PM

Default adjustable master cylinder

Where can you buy an adjustable Master Cylinder from. I have a 99 Trans AM with a spec 1 clutch and I am having very similar problems. My clutch pedal is letting out at the floor and I am not able to shift into first. I have a new clutch from spec and a F1 Racing Chromoly Flywheel.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can buy a few small parts and modify your own (see stickies) or buy one from Tick.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Chris did you install the shim behind the slave cylinder? I just want to make sure that you have it in place as this is something that folks have left out during installation and it will cause a low pedal. Let me know. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default My thoughts...

Rick -

(You may not need all that adjustable MS stuff.)

I replaced everything after putting in a new clutch from a nonsponsored clutch manufactuer based out of South Bend Indiana. (Don't make that mistake!)

The "New, perfect" (according to the maker) clutch that "could not in a million years be part of the problem" was warped - only about 0.015" but enough that it would not disengage. (Arrggghhhh!!!!!)

I've gotten so good at the R&R of my LT1 T56 I can do it in my sleep - did it 6 times in one day!!!

Anyway, take everyhting apart and spin the clutch on the tranny's input shaft - if it is not solid as a rock, NO wavering - then that is your problem.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by CamaroRick
I am having problems with my clutch not releasing. the travel of the pedal, feels like crap, it has 2" of loose travel, and the last half it gains in resistance to the floor where it was starting to get real stiff.
the clutch is a spec stage III+, I used the supplied shim with the kit ( searched and fund some dont use the shim)
i have a mceod bellhousing i figured i would definatly need the shim. Its 1/4" deeper than stock. and a new gm master cylinder

Ive bleed the hell out of this thing but the pedal cant disinguage the clutch.
does anyone know the correct distance between the pressure plate and the T.O. bearing? I think i need more shims, anyone know where i can get some? might have to make one...

Quick Reply: clutch wont release