Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Wanting to change A4 to M6

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to change A4 to M6

I have a 94 Z28 and it has 3.23 gears and the 4L60E trans. I would like to change it to a 6 speed for a few reasons....more fun to drive, better gas mileage, and maybe free up just a couple more horses. If anybody has done this....could you tell me how much of a PITA it is or if its worth it? I am 17 and will be going to college in a year and a half which means lots of interstate driving back and forth. Also, if I'm going about 70 with the gears I have now, I'm pulling about 2600 rpm's. That would change significantly....right?
Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a huge sticky on this. I did it and it was really helpful. YOu may want to slap a set of gears in it while your at it. It will take away the chatter at 1st, 2nd gear down shifts and from a stop. Yes if you leave the factory gears in your 80mph will be 1400rpm's give or take a two. If your have some mechanic skill no its not that bad. The hard part if coming out of pocket to buy all the swap parts. Good luck if you have any questions just shoot me a pm. I will be gladly to help as the way they all helped me.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the middle of doing this right now and truthfully it's not really that big of a deal. If you've got any mechanical ability it's easy with the info posted in the sticky. Like said above, the biggest problem is funding the swap. You're looking at a couple grand at least, unless you get lucky like I did and find someone to trade with.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im still accumulating parts and I think im up to around 2k so far, but then again i bought an aftermarket Torque arm, rear diff cover, and a few other items to replace the stock ones.. Also most of the other stuff is used such as the t56 and I got a used textralia OZ700 too, had to get that rebuilt tho