Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Flywheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flywheel Question

I am about to have a SPEC 3+ Clutch installed in my Formula. I was wondering if I should go ahead and replace the flywheel with a SPEC billet steel one as well, or should I have the original resurfaced? The original has about 35K miles on it. I am leaning towards replacing.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Unless the surface is damaged, you CAN reuse the original. If you want to upgrade, you can use the billet steel, or an aluminum flywheel. All depends on what you want. If you want easy high RPM shifts, I think you're best with the stock flywheel or the billet steel. If you want super fast, sport bikish, revs, then you should use the aluminum flywheel.

The cheapest route of course, is just to use stock. Was your clutch still in tact when you removed it? As long as there was no metal to metal contact, it should be ok. To stay on the safe side, you could have it resurfaced regardless.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:59 AM
TECH Resident

i vote for aluminum!! nothing wrong with a lil quicker acceleration
Old 12-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply's!

The clutch I am replacing does not slip or anything. I am just replacing it as the car is going under the knife (boost), and the stock clutch with 35K miles will not last long at all after it is all said and done.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get a new flywheel. To retain the proper geometry after surfacing the flywheel, you would have to space the flywheel between the crank the same amount that was removed from the surface. Some clutches you can get away with surfacing a little without worrying about all that, but spec isn't one IMO. Spec already has to shim the slave closer to the PP to get the clutch to release properly.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
I would get a new flywheel. To retain the proper geometry after surfacing the flywheel, you would have to space the flywheel between the crank the same amount that was removed from the surface. Some clutches you can get away with surfacing a little without worrying about all that, but spec isn't one IMO. Spec already has to shim the slave closer to the PP to get the clutch to release properly.
Thanks for the info Jonathan! I decided to go ahead and get the new flywheel. I don't want to deal with any more issues than I have to. I know what you mean about the resurfacing, as I was running into that same problem with a clutch/flywheel on another car I have. Thanks again!