Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Random T56 sounds/troubles....please give me insight

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Random T56 sounds/troubles....please give me insight

Hey all. My T56 has 87k miles on it. I believe there is a stock clutch in there too. I don't really know to be honest- bought the car used. I'm having some random sounds/issues:

1. There is "bearing" type noise when the car is in neutral and the pedal is not depressed. Sounds like a whoosh/grind sound. Don't know how to explain it.
2. Sometimes with the clutch fully pressed in the trans will grind slightly when putting it into gear
3. Sometimes it is a little tough to get it into some gears, mainly 1st

Ideas? The clutch engages pretty high which tells me its on its last leg. I'm also thinking its the throwout bearing making that "bearing" noise as noted in #1. And I'm wondering if the trans is okay with problem #3, or if that happens because of a worn clutch? The clutch master was apparently replaced with 01+ hydraulics. I will cross reference any part numbers to verify that. Car is a 98' TA. Yes, I read the stickys. Looking for some input to back me up before I begin replacing things.

My plan of attack is to replace the clutch, slave cylinder, pilot bearing (due to mileage). If the grinding still occurs, or if the bearing noise persists, then it should warrant a trans rebuild.

Let me know!
Andy
Old 12-13-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
...The clutch engages pretty high which tells me its on its last leg...
I'm not sure if I would agree with that assessment. Most people on this board would kill for a high pedal.

...I'm also thinking its the throwout bearing making that "bearing" noise as noted in #1...
That's a safe bet. Although, it could probably last another 100K miles even making that noise, but if you're intending to pull the trans there is no reason to leave it in there.

...And I'm wondering if the trans is okay with problem #3, or if that happens because of a worn clutch? The clutch master was apparently replaced with 01+ hydraulics...
This is a little tougher since it seems the clutch and/or hydraulics are OK with a high pedal. Have you bled or flushed the fluid lately? Does the fluid look black or clear? If you have the car in 1st with the clutch depressed, does it creep as you bring up the RPM? If the fluid is OK and the car doesn't creep, it's looking more and more like a trans issue.

...My plan of attack is to replace the clutch, slave cylinder, pilot bearing (due to mileage). If the grinding still occurs, or if the bearing noise persists, then it should warrant a trans rebuild...
I don't want to spend your money, but if you're going to pull an 87K trans out to begin with, it wouldn't hurt to freshen it up once you've already gone through that pain.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fran D
I'm not sure if I would agree with that assessment. Most people on this board would kill for a high pedal.

That's a safe bet. Although, it could probably last another 100K miles even making that noise, but if you're intending to pull the trans there is no reason to leave it in there.

This is a little tougher since it seems the clutch and/or hydraulics are OK with a high pedal. Have you bled or flushed the fluid lately? Does the fluid look black or clear? If you have the car in 1st with the clutch depressed, does it creep as you bring up the RPM? If the fluid is OK and the car doesn't creep, it's looking more and more like a trans issue.

I don't want to spend your money, but if you're going to pull an 87K trans out to begin with, it wouldn't hurt to freshen it up once you've already gone through that pain.
What do you mean by "creep"???

I agree it may be worth the time and money to just rebuild the trans and replace everything to be done with it.

Andy
Old 12-13-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

What do you mean by "creep"???
The car moves forward (in a forward gear, of course) as the RPM is increased with the clutch depressed. This would illustrate that the clutch has not fully disengaged and could lead to the hard shifting problems you are experiencing.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

The car moves forward (in a forward gear, of course) as the RPM is increased with the clutch depressed. This would illustrate that the clutch has not fully disengaged and could lead to the hard shifting problems you are experiencing.
It does not creep. It only has a high engagement leading me to believe there is not too much clutch material left. And sometimes the trans will make a grind noise with the clutch pedal fully depressed telling me the throwout bearing isnt fully disengaging the clutch?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The throwout bearing would be more likely to make noise with the clutch pedal pressed. The first thing I would check is the fluid level in the transmission itself. A low fluid level could cause the hard shifting, especially into first, and would also cause some bearing noise over time.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
The throwout bearing would be more likely to make noise with the clutch pedal pressed. The first thing I would check is the fluid level in the transmission itself. A low fluid level could cause the hard shifting, especially into first, and would also cause some bearing noise over time.
I am just going to change the fluid totally. And make sure its topped off.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-13-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

... It only has a high engagement leading me to believe there is not too much clutch material left.
...And sometimes the trans will make a grind noise with the clutch pedal fully depressed telling me the throwout bearing isnt fully disengaging the clutch?
Hmmm...those two statements seem to be a bit anachronistic, unless the slave is blown, but then you would experience a light, mushy peddle. Best to take care of the fluid, first, and see if that improves.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Hmmm...those two statements seem to be a bit anachronistic, unless the slave is blown, but then you would experience a light, mushy peddle. Best to take care of the fluid, first, and see if that improves.
I am going to change the trans fluid tonight and see if that makes the noise/issues go away. If not, I will proceed with replacing things.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Report back on how things go. I hope it works out.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks
Old 12-20-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

I put some Mobil 1 synthetic oil in there. The old oil wasn't dark, but at least I know that it is fresh and new. The sound has decreased. Who knows. I am banking on a rebuild and new clutch this spring anyways. I will just baby the trans until then.

Andy
Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you change the hydraulic fluid for the clutch, or did you change the transmission fluid?

Also a high engaging clutch doesn't mean much, my stocker was around the 80% released range when the clutch engaged but on inspection on removing had almost 2/3 as much material as the LS7 clutch that replaced it (wear wise).

My Ls7 clutch with 01-02 hydraulics engages around the 70% pedal travel mark. Not as high as stock LS1 travel, but a big difference from the "it engages right off the floor" feel it had when I first put it in.

Also if it's out, a rebuild should be in your mind, do it all at once. The stage 1 kit from Sixspeeds covers 700ft/lb and 700hp... and will satisfy 90% of the LSx cars that are on the roads these days. Very few need to spend big $$$ for the higher kits.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SladeX
did you change the hydraulic fluid for the clutch, or did you change the transmission fluid?

Also a high engaging clutch doesn't mean much, my stocker was around the 80% released range when the clutch engaged but on inspection on removing had almost 2/3 as much material as the LS7 clutch that replaced it (wear wise).

My Ls7 clutch with 01-02 hydraulics engages around the 70% pedal travel mark. Not as high as stock LS1 travel, but a big difference from the "it engages right off the floor" feel it had when I first put it in.

Also if it's out, a rebuild should be in your mind, do it all at once. The stage 1 kit from Sixspeeds covers 700ft/lb and 700hp... and will satisfy 90% of the LSx cars that are on the roads these days. Very few need to spend big $$$ for the higher kits.

I changed the transmission fluid only. I am planning on a rebuild this spring as well as a new clutch. I will also flush the hydraulic fluid at that time with a new slave.

Thanks
Andy

Quick Reply: Random T56 sounds/troubles....please give me insight