Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec Stage 3+ Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Spec Stage 3+ Problems

Here is one that no one can figure out, not even Spec. I had the first stage 3+, the disc was silver in color, full surface disc not pucks. Had the complete kit installed, Pressure plate, Flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing. After break in app 1000 miles of stop and go driving went to the track. Launching at 4500 RPM the clutch grabbed on take off then let go, If I tried to back pedal it just went to the rev limiter but if I released the clutch and let it grab then hammer down, it held. Sent it back to Spec and they sent me a complete new kit. They said that they were having problems with the disc, That is was too hard and not seating. Anyway the new setup, The disc was gold in color, Again after break in went to the track, same thing, Launch hard it slips, Let the clutch out to grab then hammer, it holds. My car 95 Z28, Forced Inducted, 648 RWHP/612 TQ, Now get this, I removed the supercharger because I am going turbo, N/A it only makes right at 400 RWHP, Still does the same thing. I'm Pissed now..
Old 12-27-2007, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the hydrolics are acting too slow.They are slowly releasing and the clutch its slipping so bad that it can't grab until the rpm drops.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Thats what I was thinking but am not sure of the fix, People tell me if I have done the slave cylinder mod, I was told this was only for the LS engines..anyone know the fix?
Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where is the clutch releasing? maybe it is not fully engaged in regular state?
Old 12-27-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

It releases about 1/3 the way up from the floor maybe 1/4 of the way. I know It starts to grab just off the floor....
Old 12-30-2007, 06:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
It releases about 1/3 the way up from the floor maybe 1/4 of the way. I know It starts to grab just off the floor....
I have 07 zo6 super charged 600 rwhp spec 3 + installed 800 mile breakin first time at track back in to burn out box then pull out get to line car would not shift stuck in gear removed clutch completly melted and welded to fly wheel spec did nothing but say it was installed wrong yada yada. specs suck
Old 12-31-2007, 03:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Ls7...
Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, the second time around when I called Spec they basically told me the same thing, It probably has oil on the clutch, Installed wrong, Not broke in properly ect. all in all it is not their product its the consumer, $1000.00 down the drain..
Old 01-02-2008, 01:00 PM
FormerVendor

Moe...lets look at this further. It slipped with the blower and without. In truth I don't believe that you are over powering the kit. It is possible that you are dealing with a fluid transfer issue. Perhaps the slave is slow to completely relieve the fluid pressure on the diaphragm fingers. If this were the case it could cause the clutch to slip momentarily and then grab after it has bled back. Though upon initial inspection this would appear to be slave related, the slave is dependent on the master. That being said, if the Master was bleeding fluid past the seal it would not allow fluid to return through the feed line. I don't recall speaking with you directly Moe but I would be happy to assist you if needed. Based on the info you provided above I would replace the Master Cylinder and go from there. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

yea. i agree that clutch should handle that. Sucks though after all the time and money that there is problems.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Moe...lets look at this further. It slipped with the blower and without. In truth I don't believe that you are over powering the kit. It is possible that you are dealing with a fluid transfer issue. Perhaps the slave is slow to completely relieve the fluid pressure on the diaphragm fingers. If this were the case it could cause the clutch to slip momentarily and then grab after it has bled back. Though upon initial inspection this would appear to be slave related, the slave is dependent on the master. That being said, if the Master was bleeding fluid past the seal it would not allow fluid to return through the feed line. I don't recall speaking with you directly Moe but I would be happy to assist you if needed. Based on the info you provided above I would replace the Master Cylinder and go from there. Thanks!
Thank you for the reply, I do not recall the persons name that I spoke to, I know the first tech was very helpful and he is the one that sent me the new setup, To my understanding, he was no longer with the company and the other tech I spoke to was the telling me that it was probably oil and he could not help me, In fact he was not very consumer friendly, when I told him that I pulled the clutch and it was dry with no oil, His response was, Yea thats what they all say...Anyway, thanks for your input, I will try a new master and slave and see what happens, Thanks again....
Old 01-03-2008, 11:05 AM
FormerVendor

No worries at all! Please let me know what you experience after the addition of the new slave and master. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby
I have 07 zo6 super charged 600 rwhp spec 3 + installed 800 mile breakin first time at track back in to burn out box then pull out get to line car would not shift stuck in gear removed clutch completly melted and welded to fly wheel spec did nothing but say it was installed wrong yada yada. specs suck
I had the same thing happen. Was yours the silver disc or the newer copper disc? I had 700 break in miles which was even more than the instructions and the excuse that I got was that "You were too easy on it during break in". I was only following the instructions. I finally got them to help me out and now have the new copper one and have not had any problems with it at all. In fact, it's one of the better feeling clutches out there.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 AM
FormerVendor

Myfast...we have used the same Stage 3+ material for over 2-years. In the early stages of stage 3+ development we used a different disc compound that has been used successfully by lots of people...including use in some of our own personal cars. In extreme heat situations, often caused when the disc was not fully broken in and thus friction was limited to a smaller friction area the material could stick to the flywheel when cooling. This has not been a common occurance...nor is it any longer relavent. I appreciate the info you have provided and am glad that you are happy with the results of our stage but lets make sure we are comparing apples to apples. Thanks and have a good weekend!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My $0.02 -

My SPEC 3+ / Master / Slave cylinder / clutch issues were resolved with I replaced the Master and Slave cylinders and (while I was at it) carefully modded the line - issue solved!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Just wanted to say that my spec 3+ has 700 miles on it. 500 break in miles and last 200 spirited miles. When I broke in I did alot of up an down shifting, rev matching as told my by installer vette doctors. Clutch feels good so far, will keep you guys updated.

pushing about 500rwhp
Old 01-04-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, rev matching is a must cause it grips like a ****.