Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC stage 5 review...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SPEC stage 5 review...

The only thing I regret about buying this clutch is that I didn't get it last year. NO chatter at all. Major friggin holding power. This clutch is about as smooth as it gets. It's not fully broken in yet, but held up well at the track last weekend. It does make a pretty loud squealing noise during slow take-offs, but no big deal really. I figure that will decrease with time. Info on the clutch: 3800 lb pressure plate, and solid unsprung sintered iron disk. Pedal pressure is so light, I thought something was wrong at first. I would definitely recommend this clutch if you're running slicks with decent power.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:41 AM
Teching In

Default Re: SPEC stage 5 review...

Yes indeed. That clutch is a beast!! I used to have one of the old iron disc setups which happened to melt on me! No worries with the new ones tho. I actually went with a custom ceramic disc and the Stage V pressure plate which is doing quite well.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:13 AM
8 Second Club

how much was it if you don't mind me asking?
Old 07-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Teching In

The Stage V was $420 w/o flywheel from Thunder Racing.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

I thought the stage 5 was a track only clutch. hows the driveabilty on the street??
Old 07-05-2003, 01:51 PM
Teching In

It's okay on the street, but IMO it's just too damned grabby. Don't get me wrong, I love a stiff clutch, but I also like something a little smoother for driving in traffic. The sintered iron clutches grab harder as they get hotter, so you can conclude what would happen in a traffic jam! Honestly, I would have never thought that I would say a clutch is too grabby, but the SPEC V is; for me anyway. If your car is a daily driver, shell out the cash for the street twin, but if it's a weekend/track car, the SPEC V is one of the best for the money. Like I said before, I blew a SPEC V disc and decided to go with an unsprung ceramic disc instead. NO chatter, smooth, grabs HARD. I may even go back to the iron disc since my Camaro is no longer the daily driver. Keep in mind that these materials are a lot different than the carbon/kevlar types.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Launching!

That thing is awesome ryan, after my stage 3 is done with, i'll be getting what u have

Quick Reply: SPEC stage 5 review...