52.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

McLeoud Adj. Master vs. Ram Adj. Master

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default McLeoud Adj. Master vs. Ram Adj. Master

I put a OZ700 in and i feel like my hydros need upgraded now. Done some searches but didn't find the answer. My mods are in my sig. Out of these two or even another one I didn't list which one is the best. I'm looking for something that will last and is good quality and if I have problems with it I don't have to go threw hell to get it fixed or even a new one if thats what it takes. Basically good customer service that will back there product if something breaks and not leave me hanging. Please vote and let me know your experiences with either. Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like to know the diffrence too compared too stock.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Mcleoud in mine with an 0Z700. I was told by Tex not to use it as their clutches are designed for stock hydro. So... I went back to a stock MC. Worked fine but still had low engagement. I ended up using the sticky in this section and made mine adjustable. Worked great...
Old 01-03-2008, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

I was told the ram is just an upgraded stocker made adjustable. True? I was planning on getting the ram adj. and doing the drill mod but wanted to get some input before spending money.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

I've heard the same thing but have never had it confirmed. That's why I ended up doing my stocker. If I were going to buy a new MC, for an 0Z700, I'd go with a Ram for that reason, (stock fluid displacement).
Old 01-03-2008, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

The Ram is a waste IMHO. It's nothing more than an adjustable stock unit.

I've been running the McLeod for almost 1.5 yrs with my TEXtralia OZ700 with great results. The clutch has over 20k on it and has been flawless!

As far as not using a McLeod with the TEX, I'll have to dis-agree. I know of two people that I have personally spoken with that had clutch dragging issues with the TEX while using the stock mc. After installing a McLeod, bleeding, and properly adjusting it, the problem was solved.

If your gonna get an adj mc, go with the McLeod. My buddy lives within driving distance of them and received great customer service from them.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

Glad to hear you have no had no problems with it. I posted up a while ago and a member on here had one that did over extend the fingers on the pressure plate. I also sent a PM to Textralia and they told me not to use anything other than stock. That is the reason I woukd use a Ram vs. a Mcleoud, even tho the Mcleoud that I had was a very nice unit. I however, have never used the Ram...
Old 01-04-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Ram unit with my ls7 setup and works great. It was cheaper than a stock MC and way cheaper than a McLeoud.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had nothing but trouble with my McLeod unit, and many calls to Mcleod have only shown me that they dont really give a **** about my problems

I have rebuilt it 5 times now. And same thing every time, after about a week, it starts bypassing fluid. The little rubber seals get gauged by the hole where the resevoir comes in. I tried honing it, but to no avail.

Mcleods customer service sucks, and they dont really care. Called many times, trying to get some kind of answer, but they just say to rebuild it and hone it.

Search around on here and you'll probably find a couple other people had the same thing happen.

PS-The rebuild kits are like 60$ a pop

Last edited by LivingCanvas; 01-04-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Teching In

I had trouble with the McLeods adj. clutch and I think I fixed the #1 issue with the mc. I had bleed off with mine. Wouldn't hold pressure, or bleed air very well. I went to nappa and bought all the O-rings and the 13/16ths pressure cup that cost about 3 bucks. (not bad for a rebuild kit)
The one notable problem I could see is the cup spring didn't hold the pressure cup true in the bore! My old rubber cup had a bad score on one side. I took a pair of needle nose pliers and bent the spring to hold the cup true inthe bore and it works. The mc bleeds great and I haven't felt sutch great pressure since I bought the car.
If you happen to have your mc apart, put the 13/16ths cup on top of the spring and see if it sits half cocked on top. Also see if the cup is scuffed on one side.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NEW 2 THE F BODY
I had trouble with the McLeods adj. clutch and I think I fixed the #1 issue with the mc. I had bleed off with mine. Wouldn't hold pressure, or bleed air very well. I went to nappa and bought all the O-rings and the 13/16ths pressure cup that cost about 3 bucks. (not bad for a rebuild kit)
The one notable problem I could see is the cup spring didn't hold the pressure cup true in the bore! My old rubber cup had a bad score on one side. I took a pair of needle nose pliers and bent the spring to hold the cup true inthe bore and it works. The mc bleeds great and I haven't felt sutch great pressure since I bought the car.
If you happen to have your mc apart, put the 13/16ths cup on top of the spring and see if it sits half cocked on top. Also see if the cup is scuffed on one side.
The problem is, should we have to fix a new $350 part? And if something goes wrong, shouldnt the customer service reflect that price?

Im glad you found some sort of solution though, and I will be pm'ing you for help with mine.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:05 AM
9 Second Club

Go with the mcloed. The ram is nothing but a stock with a adj. eye welded on it. The mcloed is just a better unit all together plus it's rebuildable. I've installed several of each type and have had to replace the ram unit with mcloed because the custumer wasn't happy with it at all. If you plan on only doing it once then get the mcloed. It suck that its more expensive but that life.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

Where would be the cheapest place to find either one of them.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you guys see my posts?

If you decide to go with one, good luck. Hopefully you wont have the same problems me and many others have had with them...Seems like most work fine, but some are nothing but trouble

You really should only buy one if you need the extra throw that the bigger bore offers. Otherwise, a stocker is best IMO
Old 01-06-2008, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Ya I seen it and I appreciate the input. Right now I was just tryin to keep my options open and was wanting to check the cheapest price on both. Not for sure on which one to go with still. I have had bad luck with ram products and have heard good things about mcleoud. Now wheater there master cylinder for our cars is a different story or not I dunno. Seems like a hit and miss. The prices I've seen on the mcleouds is my problem. Sounds risky. Maybe if they would better there customer service (from what i've heard) it wouldnt be so bad. I dunno though. Theres not very many votes so i'm still waiting to make a decision to spend a 150+ dollars on either one.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FWIW the ram is just a stocker modified to be adjustable. Meaning the pedal height is adjustable. The Mcleod is also pedal height adjustable.

The only reason to spend the extra money on the Mcleod, is if you need the extra distance that it pushes out the slave. I have the Mcleod clutch, and a stock master wont push the fingers enough to disengage the clutch. This is also some thing that pissed me off about them. They sold me the clutch, not telling me that it required their master. Called them when the clutch wouldnt disengage, they blamed me for doing it wrong, then we finally figured out that I didnt have their master. So by that time I had no choice but to buy the thing. Since then, its been nothing but troubles.

Mcleod clutch+Mcleod master= a little over 1000$(tax, shipping, ect). Plus the fact that I had bought a new stock master originally(cant be returned). I only bought the Mcleod clutch in the first place because it was a good price for the power holding(about 500hp capability). But that was before I knew it required another 350$ for THEIR master. For 1000$, I would rather have just bought a Textralia clutch in the first place, and used the stock master. Then I would have 700+hp holding, and stockish feel.

Oh well live and learn I guess
Old 01-06-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
Go with the mcloed. The ram is nothing but a stock with a adj. eye welded on it. The mcloed is just a better unit all together plus it's rebuildable. I've installed several of each type and have had to replace the ram unit with mcloed because the custumer wasn't happy with it at all. If you plan on only doing it once then get the mcloed. It suck that its more expensive but that life.

I would have spent the extra money for a McLeoud if I heard good things about it. But as stated it's usually a hit and miss with their products and $350 is way to much to gamble on IMO, and I'm the type of guy that likes to do things once. Unfortunately there are no other master cylinder manufacturers for this type of product so you have to go one way or the other.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by _JB_
I would have spent the extra money for a McLeoud if I heard good things about it. But as stated it's usually a hit and miss with their products and $350 is way to much to gamble on IMO, and I'm the type of guy that likes to do things once. Unfortunately there are no other master cylinder manufacturers for this type of product so you have to go one way or the other.
I understand where your coming from as my mcloed started acting up (somehow getting air in the system) after 10k but a quick rebuild and haven't had any issues with it since. But i've owned it for about 5 years now. Even with that happening I still recommend mcloed over ram anyday. At least in master cylinders not clutches though.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went on Mcleods site today and look what I found...

http://www.mcleodind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164
http://www.mcleodind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75

And another kind of problem I was unaware of...
http://www.mcleodind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84

As a matter of fact if you go looking through most of the threads on there, you can see the the Mcleod guy doesnt really provide much help.

Buyer beware

Last edited by LivingCanvas; 01-06-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

Damn...after reading this im confused as hell what to do. I too have a 0Z700 thats dragging a tad. I can have my car in first on a level surface with it in first but the clutch pushed in and the car will pull fwd a little around 4500k rpm, hence I need to adjust the clutch. Ive been in contact with byunspeed (AWESOME guy, always returns your emails) and hes been talking with Jarod at Textrilla and he actually was the one that told me to use a Mcleod, but TO BE VERY CAREFUL not to over adjust which I fully understand. I just dont have $350 laying around right now. Maybe I'll try to make my stocker adjustable. Overall the clutch works great and holds my power but I dont want to mess anything up. It only acts up if Im in neatrul and go to first real fast, it will grind a little.