Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifting into first gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shifting into first gear

I tried searching but couldn't come up with anything. OK so I on a M6. When coming to a stoplight (or especially when I turn into my street) I slow down. Sometimes I don't come to a complete stop but i'm going so slow I want to go into first gear. Well most of the time I can't get it in there. So I put it in neutral and let the clutch out and push it back in and try again. Sometimes it will go right in. Sometimes it won't and I'll try once more, if it don't work after that i just put it in second and go from that which I don't like to do. Even sometimes when I sit at a stoplight for a second I just keep the clutch pushed in and lots of times it won't let me go into first without letting the clutch out first then push back in. It's really annoying. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to fix it? Would a new shifter (pro5.0 or BMR) fix it?
Oh it's a T56
Thanks for the help, I hope you understand what I'm saying, never had this much problem with my ranger 5 spd

Last edited by nrs2420; 01-06-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What clutch? How many miles? Sounds like the clutch could be dragging. Common problem when the clutches start to wear or the hydraulics need bleeding/changing.

Amber
Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

push the clutch in and rev match the rpms then put it in 1st. If this doesn't work, push the clutch in and wait till your almost stopped then slowly push it into 1st. Otherwise Amber is prolly right
Old 01-06-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think my car did that so i put it in 3rd then back to 1st and it would go in 1st, i think it happened a lil with me.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:22 PM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happens with me all the time, I have plans to make some good power though and just am going to rebuild the tranny and replace the clutch. I would think that your clutch is getting worn because of what you are saying. When mine starts to do it the pedal gets really spongy. Like today I took a friend for a ride. Knowing the condition of both the tranny and clutch I only opened it up in second after being in the gear and rolled on then. Got to speed pushed in the clutch coasted to a stop and the pedal was very soft. Pumped it a few times and tried 1st again after it ground the first time and went right in. So I think you and I are suffering from the same thing.

Quick Reply: shifting into first gear