Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what clutch for an lt1

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what clutch for an lt1

i know there have been alot of clutch threads on here and i've read alot of them,but it seemed like everyone wanted to know what clutch to use in there daily driver type car,well i want to know what clutch to use in my race car.its a carbed 383 sbc and i'll be using a t56 from an lt1 car with the pull type clutch,i already have a mcleod aluminum flywheel to use a lt1 t56 on a 85 down 2 peice rear seal crank.

so what clutch will hold up to some pretty serious abuse? slicks,nitrous,etc.i'm almost sold on a spec stage 3+.i know everyone is going to have a bad story about a clutch,i just want to know who is using what and actually beating the **** out of it too.so lets hear it!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by todds69
i know there have been alot of clutch threads on here and i've read alot of them,but it seemed like everyone wanted to know what clutch to use in there daily driver type car,well i want to know what clutch to use in my race car.its a carbed 383 sbc and i'll be using a t56 from an lt1 car with the pull type clutch,i already have a mcleod aluminum flywheel to use a lt1 t56 on a 85 down 2 peice rear seal crank.

so what clutch will hold up to some pretty serious abuse? slicks,nitrous,etc.i'm almost sold on a spec stage 3+.i know everyone is going to have a bad story about a clutch,i just want to know who is using what and actually beating the **** out of it too.so lets hear it!
try a twin disk clutch, they run around 1800
Old 01-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

oh yea forgot to mention,want to keep it under $1000 on the cost.but the twin disks are bad *** though.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ram Powergrip HD with the mods listed below. ~5000 street miles. Maybe 10 trips to the dragstrip so far. Last time down made 5 passes in a row with NO cooldown and 4500 rpm quick slip launches, same snappy grab each time. Doesn't sound like you care about chatter and street manners, it behaves better than I expected for a kevlar/iron clutch, but definitely not smooth.