Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Syncros Or Forks Or What??? Newbie Clueless

Old 01-09-2008, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Syncros Or Forks Or What??? Newbie Clueless

I have a 01 camaro with 90k miles on it with bolt ons and such. I have a pro 5.0 shifter and about 365 hp to the ground. I take off in daily driving( casual shifting for gas milege) and shifting into second grinds horribly, wont go so I skip it and go to third shifting into fourth I get little resistence but wont stay in gear at all just pops right out. 5th and sixth are fine. Sometimes when I put it in reverse and give it throttle to back up it isnt in gear and grinds a little. I have to give it extra effort into putting it in to reverse. Ive talked to shops, and local fbody guys and they all either say syncros or forks. I would love to hear some ideas. Im planning on rebuilding anyways to save me the money later but Im trying to use this as a learning experience being a LS1 newbie. Would love every bit of info possible THANKS GUYS!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the sliders are worn out and you have a broken key in the 3/4 slider assembly. If it grinds going into 2nd you have most likely damaged the synchro teeth on the gear as well as the slider.

Amber
Old 01-09-2008, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

I plan on rebuilding but does that mean Im also going to have to replace the gears as well? I need to know the army doesnt pay very good tranny rebuild paychecks lol I also dont want to go to cheap because of a 150 shot I plan on installing
Old 01-09-2008, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Call Amber and talk to her. Judging by some of her recent posts, she's bored anyway...
Old 01-09-2008, 09:21 PM
FormerVendor

I am. This board has been to quite lately. Give me a call. You might be okay on the gears if you do a rebuild soon. The longer you drive the worse the gears will get. Catch it early and the likely hood you have to replace gears goes way down.

Amber
Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Oh no ever since the first grind I limped her back to NC from FL in 6th gear and sat her in the garage and havent driven her since saving up till the rebuild and knocked down the insurance just in case Im tempted to drive it lol needless to say Im using the saved insurance money for the rebuild its gonna be a while What can I say shes my second baby.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:13 AM
FormerVendor

Then you should be okay. Good thing you aren't driving unless you have to. That should save you money!

Amber
Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 PM

Six speeds inc., is great, but since you're in NC, you should check out tick performance. They are in NC too. Not sure how far from you. I wish I lived closer to either place.

Search this Thread