Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Prothane tranny mount mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Prothane tranny mount mod

I have only had my SS 35th LE for a week. It has prothane tranny and motor mounts. I had a vibration which I did not like. I did some research here and found the tranny mount is the issue. I dropped the tranny crossmember support and put some rubber between the mount and crossmember and took it for a drive and what a difference!! It's not perfect, but the vibration is significantly reduced. I will drive like this for another week or so to see if it gets worse or stays as is. If any are interested, I will report back in a week.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will tell you that if you ever upgrade to prothane motor mounts, the vibrations totally disappear. I always ran my tranny mount without the center plate until i got my m mounts.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by connexion2005
I will tell you that if you ever upgrade to prothane motor mounts, the vibrations totally disappear. I always ran my tranny mount without the center plate until i got my m mounts.
I have prothane motor and tranny mounts. The vibrations where coming from the tranny prothane mount, almost all gone now after adding rubber between the plate and crossmember.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hated the vibes so much I went back to rubber mounts.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Swapped back to tranny rubber mount today........whew, car rides smooth now.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have prothane engine and tranny mounts but im not sure if the vibration i have is the same as what you guys are talking about. If i go wide open on the freeway all the way to fifth, it hums and vibrates pretty good. everything in the center console shakes and so does the passenger seat. I wasn't sure if that was because of my chassis mounted torque arm or something else..
Old 01-22-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Change you prothane tranny mount for a rubber one, you will be very happy you did.

The supra you is it a manual? I love Supras....I had a 89 Turbo, but could never find the right mk4 that had decent mileage for the money.
Any pix?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
I have prothane engine and tranny mounts but im not sure if the vibration i have is the same as what you guys are talking about. If i go wide open on the freeway all the way to fifth, it hums and vibrates pretty good. everything in the center console shakes and so does the passenger seat. I wasn't sure if that was because of my chassis mounted torque arm or something else..
exactly what mine does i was thinking ti was m drive shaft... they drive line guys said it wasn't said it wouldn't hurt to swap to a aluminum one tho
Old 04-11-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is vibrating. Although i think it is from the pinion angle on the torque arm not being right rather than the mount..
Old 04-11-2008, 06:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
My car has done that since I bought it. I have the stock mounts on so that may not be the issue. I think like you said before that it is because its a tourqe arm car. I do have a prothane mount sitting in the garage waiting to be installed though.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

All I can say is, the prothane tranny mounts is too stiff, when I removed it and put in stock one, smooth again...........
Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxgee
Change you prothane tranny mount for a rubber one, you will be very happy you did.

The supra you is it a manual? I love Supras....I had a 89 Turbo, but could never find the right mk4 that had decent mileage for the money.
Any pix?
I might put the stock one back in or the 1LE whatever. The Prothane stopped the transmission movement so that's why i like it but the vibration is getting kind of annoying.

Yes, my Supra is a six speed. They are very nice cars indeed
Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

when i switched to the poly mount i had vibrations too. but the poly mount is taller than the stocker so u need to put spacers under the trans cross member to put the drive shaft angle back to where it belongs. did the same for my friends a4 lt1 camaro and solved the vibration issue as well