Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Smell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Smell?

Whenever I run my car hard at all there is always a burning clutch smell when I get out of the car. The clutch was replaced at 70k and the car has 102k on it now? What is my problem?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

sounds like the clutch is burning up.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

mike is right, i had a spec 3 that would smell real bad after highway pulls... then it started slipping in 5th & 6th gear
Old 02-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Why would the clutch be going out after only 40k miles? The car hasnt been abused much.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in a word. Hydraulics.

Unless you do every single precaution to prevent it from going bad, your clutch will take the abuse and eventually fail.

Did you protect the braided line from heat?

The proximity of the exhaust to the line can cook up the fluid real well. Combined with the heat from the clutch friction and the engine, the fluid really takes a beating.

Do you flush your hydraulics on a regular basis?

This is something that should be changed and monitored regularly. Ranger has a good write up on simple maintenance for longevity.

Have you done the drill mod?

The single greatest killer of clutches is the WOT 1-2-3-4 shift. Due to a restriction in the hydraulic line, 1-2 is a decent shift, 2-3 not all the fluid has returned to the master, 3-4, is not a full disengagement of the clutch and really rides it.

Are you running updated 01-02 hydraulics? The later versions of the slave and master push more fluid than the previous years allowing better clutch disengagement. The line still requires the drill mod.

Does the car see a lot of stop/go traffic? Simple wear and tear miles over a long time can really eat up a clutch.

Quick Reply: Clutch Smell?