Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I'm replacing the clutch...should I replace the master too?

Old 02-08-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm replacing the clutch...should I replace the master too?

This blown clutch is cutting into my cam budget so I dont wanna spend too much. I am getting the ls7 kit with slave. I have a 98 and not sure if it's been replaced. I was thinking of just taking it out and doing the drill mod. It never gave me problems before but I just want to know if it would be worth it to spend $130 to replace it to the updated one
Old 02-08-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose if you're not having any problems with the clutch (as in wearing out fast) and shifting is smooth and quick, plus you're on a small budget, you don't have to do it now. But I know it is highly recommended to go to the 01/02 hydraulics (ie master) and do the drill mod to the line, especially if you're having any of the previously mentioned issues.

I think you can get a new master for around $130 or so from GMPartsDirect (not sure about shipping). It's probably worth it to do it if you can spare the money while everything is apart.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine when I put in the LS7 clutch. I figured I'm upgrading everything else, might as well do it now rather than wait for it to break later.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it also, dont want to spend all this time working on the car just to find out you have to go back in there and change that thing out a week later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm replacing the clutch...should I replace the master too?