Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia Guys, X grip or Z grip which and why??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Textralia Guys, X grip or Z grip which and why??

I am looking to buy a Text clutch in the next couple of weeks and I had a couple of questions. I have driven a Text clutch before (x grip) and it was a hell of a clutch. It felt silky smooth and was handling the car great. I don't know which clutch to get for my car, I am going to be driving on the street but I really don't care about street manners because it is not my daily driver and I put like 2000 miles a year on the car. I want something that will hold 5-6k clutch dumps with slicks at the track. I am sure both x or z will hold up to that since they have a 700 ft lb capacity but should I spring for the Z because it is the more aggresive of the two?? Z and X guys do you wish you brought the other one now that you have your clutch?? Opionions, and guidance greatly welcomed!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke with Byunspeed over the phone, even with PM he wants you to call. He will ask what your doing with it and what power your making. From what I understood the X grip was more aggressive/less street friendly then the Z grip. I got the Z grip and its like a dream. Silky smooth and grips HARD.

I have no exp with the X grip but I suspect they are similar.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

wait, so the Z grip is the less aggressive of the two? I thought it was the other way around??
Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by SuperSport4life
wait, so the Z grip is the less aggressive of the two? I thought it was the other way around??

That is what was explained to me. As I said I would speak with Byunspeed, a sponsor, over the phone, explain your plans and how it is used and he will explain what you can do.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was explained to me the Z grip is the more aggressive and that it would hold better in the case that your spraying out of the hole. I have a z grip sitting here and its a puck design. The clutch material seems very harsh.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zgrip is semi metallic on both sides, and the X grip is organic on one side and semi metallic on the other.

The Z is the beefier clutch, i'd go for the Z grip. I gave it a beating and a half and it held up GRRREat. Comfortable as hell too
Old 02-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
Zgrip is semi metallic on both sides, and the X grip is organic on one side and semi metallic on the other.

The Z is the beefier clutch, i'd go for the Z grip. I gave it a beating and a half and it held up GRRREat. Comfortable as hell too
I can def confirm Z grip is semi metallic puck style. I may have miss understood. A organic/metallic disk is def more "street" friendly comparativly
Old 02-20-2008, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

so I guess the Z grip is more of the clutch I will be looking for.