Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 install ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-56 install ?

I am finishing up my install and have run into a problem. I've got the clutch and bellhousing bolted up and I am trying to stab the trans. I can get the input shaft through the splines on the clutch disks but then it stops about a half inch after the second disk. After I couldn't get it stabbed the first time I pulled the trans back down and stuck the alignment tool back through the clutch and into the pilot berring and found that the disks wern't in the center of the fingers. So I unbolted the pressure plate and realligned the disks to be perfectly in the center of the fingers and tightened the pressure plate back down. When I tried to stab the trans again the same thing happened, it went through the splines and another half inch and stopped. The tranny still has an inch and a half to go so I don't think that I am hitting the pilot berring. What could the input shaft be hitting?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm that sounds pretty weird. I was going to say pilot bearing, but if its out that far, I would agree that it hasnt made it to it yet. However, if you compare the aligment tool and the input shaft and they are the exact same (pilot bearing area) then it should be going in. I would start looking at other things totally different. Hitting the trans tunnel?...Hanging up on exhaust?.. Etc etc. Sounds common sense I know, but hell, if the aligment tool goes in, so should the trans. Does the tool slide in and out easily?..
Old 02-24-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

Do you have the bleeder on the slave cracked? You could be dead-heading against that.