Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Sticky First Gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky First Gear

Hey, so i've got a problem with either my transmission or hydraulic clutch. I have a 1999 Trans Am WS6 6 speed, and if i'm stopped with the car in neutral, it is really hard to get the car back into first gear. So every time i'm stopped, I push in the clutch, and try to put it in first gear, it's like something is blocking it (I can get it in if i push as hard as i can, but i don't like to do that because i'm pretty sure that's not good for it). I can get it in first if i push it forward towards first (it being blocked the first time), bring the stick back to neutral, then push it in again......then it goes in just fine. I'm a noob btw; i'm mechanically oriented, but i don't have much experience with the more complex parts of cars.

Also, i just got it back from the dealer (they were fixing some gear whine i was having) and they wanted to replace or rebuild the tranny, but i didn't have them do it. They changed the tranny fluid, and now the car is shifting much smoother, except for getting into first. Is this sticky first problem just the tranny being crappy, or is it something else?

Also #2 is that right before i brought the car into the dealer, one of my friends took a peek under the hood and saw that my hydraulic clutch reservoir/master cylinder was low (at the time, most the gears were fairly sticky). He put some more in, but he said that i might have to bleed the line before the new fluid would take effect (he's used to working on older cars, and isn't completely up to date on newer stuff). I didn't bleed the line because i don't know how, so could the problem be that my clutch isn't being pushed in far enough, and that is why first is sticking or would the dealer have fixed that if that was the problem?

Do you guys know what the problem is?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez885
Not going into first is normal at times. Just let off the clutch and put it back in, it should slide into gear.

+1

Today people are so spoiled. I've had cars that had NO syncros at all.
My M6 is a thing of beauty.... but I wish it had been made by Borg Warner instead of Tremec. Us 01 and 02 owners have it better then the 98-00 cars. Just use 3 or 4 (with the clutch in) to line things up then slideur into first with eeez.

Oh and no it is not a problem with the skipt shift eliminator.
It is the syncros!

On a 99 you will not want to force it EVER! The syncros were made out of layers of fiber and resins (so called "paper syncros") So the new fluid will have removed the worn off bits. But they ownlly have so much life so treat them nice.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 AM
wrencher

I'm willing to bet your problem might be more hydraulic than trans.
If the clutch master is weak the clutch diseagaement will be the same. Poor shift quality is the result.
These trans's really rely on good hydraulics for shift quality & the least trans wear.
Pump the pedal a few & then see if it goes in gear.
It sounds like thats what your doing now to get it in 1st now anyway?
I would start by flushing the clutch fluid out by bleeding it. There is alot of info about that & other tips in the stickies at the top of this section.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Ok, cool. And no, that wasn't quit what i was doing, but i'll try that. I also just found out today that if i rev the engine to about 1500 RPMs it will slide in nicely.

Hopefully i'll be able to get someone to help me bleed it later today....
Old 02-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KENS_SS_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez885
Not going into first is normal at times. Just let off the clutch and put it back in, it should slide into gear.

+1

Today people are so spoiled. I've had cars that had NO syncros at all.
My M6 is a thing of beauty.... but I wish it had been made by Borg Warner instead of Tremec. Us 01 and 02 owners have it better then the 98-00 cars. Just use 3 or 4 (with the clutch in) to line things up then slideur into first with eeez.

Oh and no it is not a problem with the skipt shift eliminator.
It is the syncros!

On a 99 you will not want to force it EVER! The syncros were made out of layers of fiber and resins (so called "paper syncros") So the new fluid will have removed the worn off bits. But they ownlly have so much life so treat them nice.

The trans is made by Borg Warner. Mine is stamped right on the side. They switched the name to Tremec when Tremec bought out Borg Warner.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Ok, so i bled it, but the problem is still there. Also, pumping the clutch a few times doesn't do anything. Must have to do with the tranny...
Old 02-29-2008, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

yea sometimes that happens to me. but i usually put it in 2nd or 3rd just to get it to roll a little then put it into gear. Try that. Its probaly the syncros, i know for a fact mine r going bad...

Quick Reply: Sticky First Gear