Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

so i pulled out my "blown" spec 3+....

Old 03-06-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default so i pulled out my "blown" spec 3+....

i will post pics later but...

i pulled out what was supposedly a really badly slipping spec 3+ clutch only to find there was still some clutch left it wasnt worn as bad as it felt (i could let the clutch go with no gas and the car would not stall just slip till it moved) BUT!!! the clutch disk seemed to have grooved itself into the spec billet flywheel that i had got with the clutch? like i dont think a simple resurfacing could fix how badly grooved it was.the pressure plate side had very minor groves kinda felt like a disk brake with very tiny grooves to the touch but the flywheel was horrible...what could have caused this to happen?

oh ya i thought it was wierd that when i would dump the clutch it would grip and id be goin sideways but if i were to drive normal it would just slip horribly. couldnt even go above 60 mph!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post some pics of everything
Old 03-07-2008, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had something similar going on with mine. made the flywheel completely unusable, disc was a 5 puck type, replaced flywheel and pressure plate and car was fine...to be truthful i actually didnt check into it till the tranny spit a piece of the flywheel out through the bellhousing. drove the car another 2yrs with the small hole in it. it was the craziest sound you ever heard when it broke!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Resident

sounds like its deffinatly not engaging fully, could be the pressure plate but im leaning more tord the hydralics.....
Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Hey C...post up some shots of the assembly. That way we can assess the situation. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experiences and the research I've done, the higher rated Spec clutches (3, 3+, etc) do not react to heat very well, meaning don't slip them much. There are a lot of stories of people's disc sort of "melting" to the flywheel if slipped too much. I wonder if this is what they are talking about. Can't wait to see some pics to get a better idea of the situation.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Oh, and as far as the issue of flooring it and it gripping, but normal driving slippage is concerned: this is how the slippage starts. In lower gears at higher RPMs, there is less stress on the clutch to pull the weight of the car to higher speeds, so it will often hold in "racing" situations for a while longer than it will when you, say, punch it in sixth at 65mph on the highway. 5th and 6th will show signs of slippage first, then it will slowly get worse until it's not really driveable anymore.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

ya I'll be sure to post pics when I get home from work.
If it happen to be caused by my hydrualics what would it be my master or slave? Pedal feel has felt the same since I first installed the clutch and everything worked great. Also my hydro fluid is and has been full although it is black so I should probably bleed it. If my fluid is full and pedal feel has never changed could it still be my hydraulics?
Old 03-07-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok here are the pics...quallity may not be too good as my camera is broken and these are off my iPhone but if you look at the flywheel you will see a circular ring (impring of the clutch disk) and you cant tell from the pictures but that imprint is actually grooved into the flywheel. the clutch disk is not fully worn to make it slip like it did. what could have been causing this?
and when i say it slipped i mean 5th and 6th were uselessat anything over 60mph and it would take me like 10-15 full seconds to even get up to 35 mph accellerating very slowly and easy on the gas...
Attached Thumbnails so i pulled out my "blown" spec 3+....-img_0023.jpg   so i pulled out my "blown" spec 3+....-img_0025.jpg  

Last edited by C Murda; 03-07-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Teching In

My friend had 2 SPEC 3+ clutches do this 2 years ago in his C5.
Both had 800-1000 miles on them, first pass at the track with sticky tires and Spray, no dice.
Looked just like your pics, he was religious about breaking it in and proper adjustment, etc.
I thought they had fixed the problem.
SPEC replaced it once.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya clutch was properly broken in master and slave were new all bolts tq to spec and this happen. Well at least I can say the actual clutch disk didnt go like many other peoples. Wonder if I should try contacting spec about this? I mean it worked great for the first 10 k miles and I even wrote good reviews on this clutch. Maybe the spec rep on here can give me son advise?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C Murda
Ya clutch was properly broken in master and slave were new all bolts tq to spec and this happen. Well at least I can say the actual clutch disk didnt go like many other peoples. Wonder if I should try contacting spec about this? I mean it worked great for the first 10 k miles and I even wrote good reviews on this clutch. Maybe the spec rep on here can give me son advise?
You can send SPEC-01, who is Jeremy from Spec, a PM about it but I can already tell you what he'll say. He's going to say "Send me pics of the clutch and we'll evaluate to see if we think it may be a clutch issue or if it's probably something you or the installer screwed up. If we think it may be an issue with the clutch, we'll have you send us the whole setup for further evaluation (at your cost for shipping), and if it might have something to do with our clutch, we'll discuss your options further, but send me pics for now."

That is exactly what he is going to tell you. Ask me how I know this.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:47 PM
FormerVendor

Wink

To be honest I don't see any grooving in the shots you provided...the pics are pretty small though. Can you send some larger pics of the disc (both sides), the flywheel, and the plate to me or even post them here as I will be happy to assist you.

As for melting...that doesn't look to be the issue in the view I get of the pics above. In instances where a disc sticks to the flywheel it is due to excessive heat and coincides with a disc that is not fully broken-in. Again...this does not look to be your issue.

As for issues with 3+ kits, they are one of the most used products available for this application. Many, many people use this kit without issue...lots of them are on this forum. As for taking responsibility for something that isn't a manufacturing or materials issue...every situation is assessed independently...there are no blanket statements or blanket answers. But thanks for the support Pewter...your the best
Old 03-10-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
As for taking responsibility for something that isn't a manufacturing or materials issue...every situation is assessed independently...there are no blanket statements or blanket answers. But thanks for the support Pewter...your the best
No problem, I do what I can.

And I honestly wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, just pass on your info and tell him what you were going to say. Is there seriously anything I said that isn't 100% accurate about how the situation will be dealt with? Again, not trying to be a jerk. This is a tech forum, and I post about my personal hands on experience with various products and cars exactly as they've happened. I've never lied and don't plan on ever lying. I know someone who's had no problems with his Spec clutch. But I also happen to know three people personally who have had issues with multiple Spec clutches, including myself who has had issues with two and my brother who's had issues with two.

People can try what they want, but don't think I won't share my experiences if they post up looking for info. If there are so many people who are pleased with their Spec purchases, they should post up as well and my single post in a thread should look pretty insignificant compared with the multitudes if that's the case.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

get um pewter, tell us how you really feel.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

my spec 3 lasted for roughly 35,000 miles
with countless wot runs and hard road racing. (460rwhp/450rwtq)
i replaced it when my slave broke, otherwise i probably
could have gotten more miles out of it.
now i have a 3+ and could not be happier. IMO
Old 03-10-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shoemike
my spec 3 lasted for roughly 35,000 miles
with countless wot runs and hard road racing. (460rwhp/450rwtq)
i replaced it when my slave broke, otherwise i probably
could have gotten more miles out of it.
now i have a 3+ and could not be happier. IMO
There you go. If more people posted these experiences, mine would seem pretty insignificant.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:52 PM

I've used a Spec 3 and a Spec 3+. One lasted 9K and the other lasted 4K miles. When I asked Spec about it I got the impression that they were offended that I would suggest that there might be a problem with the clutch itself. Since then I've gone with a different brand and so far no problems.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Pewter...I never insinuated that you were lying...though you can take it as you will. There are lots of people on this board and off that have had great expereinces with our clutch kits...that is why we have sold and continue to sell thousands of them. I wasn't trying to stop you from sharing your experiences.

Screamin...you and anyone else with issues are always wlcome to contact me directly. I have said this since the first day I posted here. If I can be of any further assistance toi you let me know.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:01 AM

I don't know if I talked to you or someone else when I called both times about my problems, but the whole experience left me with a bad taste. If my current setup goes south then I might be tempted to try a Spec again. Either way, Spec seems to be doing well enough that they won't miss me as a customer.

Just telling my personal experience, not necessarily what to expect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: so i pulled out my "blown" spec 3+....