Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Swap T56 for 5 speed??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap T56 for 5 speed??

Has anyone on here swapped their T56 for 5 speed tranny? My T56 is getting harder and harder to shift into certain gears, and reverse is damn near impossible to use. So Im thinking that because of the high cost of rebuilding the T56, why not just swap in a 5 speed, Tremec maybe. I never even use 6th gear, with the way I like to drive I think the gearing of a 5 speed would suite me better. Now the big question, what 5 speed is the easiest to swap in? What bellhousing to use? I already have a new clutch in the car(its about 3 months old) and it holds great. So basically I just need the trans, bellhousing, shifter, and possibly a driveshaft correct? Im looking to do this in the next few months so the more info the better so I can prepair my wallet for the upcoming emptyness!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

How about one of those Tremec TKO 5-spd transmission? They are supose to hold up with lots of power, and I think you can find a used one reasonably cheap since most people prefer the 6spd.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

The Tremec that I was looking at earlier is the TKO-600, its supposed to hold 600 ft/lbs of torque, and it is available with a couple of gearing options. New it list for about $1900. Its very tempting, but if I can find this one, or similar used for a better price then Ill jump on it.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonC
Has anyone on here swapped their T56 for 5 speed tranny? My T56 is getting harder and harder to shift into certain gears, and reverse is damn near impossible to use. So Im thinking that because of the high cost of rebuilding the T56, why not just swap in a 5 speed, Tremec maybe. I never even use 6th gear, with the way I like to drive I think the gearing of a 5 speed would suite me better. Now the big question, what 5 speed is the easiest to swap in? What bellhousing to use? I already have a new clutch in the car(its about 3 months old) and it holds great. So basically I just need the trans, bellhousing, shifter, and possibly a driveshaft correct? Im looking to do this in the next few months so the more info the better so I can prepair my wallet for the upcoming emptyness!!!
a sign of failing hydraulics and possibly your clutch as well.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Teching In

The Tremec that I was looking at earlier is the TKO-600, its supposed to hold 600 ft/lbs of torque, and it is available with a couple of gearing options. New it list for about $1900. Its very tempting, but if I can find this one, or similar used for a better price then Ill jump on it.
imho,you are trying to save money to swap a 5 speed,and you mentioned $1900.A nice rebuild would probably cost less than that from one of the sponsors.Like Tick or Six Speeds Inc.So I do not understand why you want to swap to 5 speed if the only reason was to save money.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Banned

It would be much cheaper to have your unit rebuilt and replace the hydraulics on your car .
Old 03-15-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats as bad an idea as a jump to conclusions mat. LOL

Actually I am in the same boat your in, I have been looking around and you can get a basic rebuild for as cheap as 750 to start from some of our sponsors here.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Not really looking to save money. This is my only car and I cannot have the downtime of having to wait fot the tranny to be rebuilt. Replacement is basically my only option. The clutch is basically brand new, and the slave cylinder was replaced at the same time(previous owner had it done back in Nov., I have the receipt). This is an internal tranny problem. I am a certified Ford tech so I think I know what Im talking about. I might be new to owning a Chevy, but definately not new to working on them, I have been doing this for years. Sorry if I sound like an ***, but Im just looking for info and maybe others who have done this swap.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Teching In

So Im thinking that because of the high cost of rebuilding the T56, why not just swap in a 5 speed, Tremec maybe.

Not really looking to save money.
Maybe I missed something?

If you know so much why are you here asking advice?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

I have always heard of the T56 being so exspensive to rebuild. I guess things have changed since then. I know the trans in the car has been replaced with a rebuilt unit at some point, rebuild tag still on the trans. Buy by who or when I have no idea.

I ask these questions because there are people on here that know more about F-bodies than I do. I have never really messed with these cars before so I prefer to speak to those with experience before I dive in. I have always driven and built Mustangs , and have built a few imports. So thats where my performance knowledge is, not Chevy's.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Six Speed Incs
http://0174de9.netsolstores.com/index.asp

Tick Performance
http://www.tick-performance.com/transmission/

check out their sites,both are sponsors and do quality work and excellent customer service.

Quick Reply: Swap T56 for 5 speed??