Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Getting new clutch and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting new clutch and flywheel

So, I got the car checked out after I was having clutch problems. The mechanic did a small adjustment and bled the clutch line to keep it from grinding going into reverse anymore. But, he said I'd need a new clutch sometime soon. He quoted me at about $500 for it, since they'd have to resurface the flywheel when they put the new clutch in. If I get a brand new flywheel, though, it won't have to be resurfaced will it? Autozone has a flywheel for just $60, so I figured I'd do that instead of having them resurface the old one. Also, Oreillys has an aluminum flywheel. I'm not sure what the price is (not listed on their site). But, a guy I know said he can get me any parts I need, at cost, from there. I'm already going to get the clutch from there, since the clutch kit is $199.99 retail, and I'll be able to get it at cost. I'm thinking that the aluminum flywheel at Oreillys probably won't be too much more that the Autozone flywheel, plus, I'll get it at cost anyways, if it is more. But, do aluminum flywheels really give you that great of an advantage? It claims to add an extra 15rwhp. Not sure if I'm believing that one. Maybe a few hp at most. I know you guys will probably say to buy a heavier duty clutch, but I don't really have much to spend, I can get this stuff at cost, and I don't really think I have that big of mods to need anything better than an OEM replacement clutch kit.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what year is the car?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give us specs on your setup, power, and how you use the car (track, street, daily driven, etc).

An aluminum flywheel is only recommended if you're doing auto-x type driving. If you dragrace, do not get the aluminum flywheel.

Info on your car will be helpful in determining your clutch needs.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

I just do an occasional drag race. Barely though. I try not to street race too much since getting caught for it a little over a year ago. I'll take it to the strip a few times this summer probably.

It's a '94 Z28 with Moroso CAI, Edelbrock TES shorty headers, cutout in place of the cat, what looks to be a stock catback, and 3.73 gears. Would I be able to use the LS7 clutch and LS2 flywheel with an LT1 car? I saw that Scoggin Dickey has the combo for $400. That's a little more than I really want to spend. But, those would be able to handle higher power once I finally get a cam and further on. Otherwise, I was thinking that an OEM replacement would be fine with the mods I have.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

An LS7 clutch will not work with an LT1
Old 03-21-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
An LS7 clutch will not work with an LT1
I had a feeling it wouldn't. But, figured I'd ask anyways.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Give us specs on your setup, power, and how you use the car (track, street, daily driven, etc).

An aluminum flywheel is only recommended if you're doing auto-x type driving. If you dragrace, do not get the aluminum flywheel.

Info on your car will be helpful in determining your clutch needs.
Why is an aluminum flywheel bad for drag racing? Lighter flywheel = faster revving = faster acceleration, right?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Because a lighter flywheel revs faster, it also slows down faster making it harder to get the car moving from a stop.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
Because a lighter flywheel revs faster, it also slows down faster making it harder to get the car moving from a stop.
Oh. Well, I may as well just get the steel one from Autozone for $60, then. That's got to be cheaper than what they'd charge me to resurface the one in the car.

Quick Reply: Getting new clutch and flywheel