Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch pedal return spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clutch pedal return spring

I know you guys don't like installing it, but it's been bugging me that mine broke and I've got that little play in the pedal. It bothers me. Yes I can drive it, but that's not the point.

anyone got one they are willing to part with? They want to charge me $86 CDN for the damn part which is ridiculous for something worth $5-6 at a US GM dealership.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do any of your local parts stores have it? I would check autozone, advance and all the others. They might have one.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

I'll take a shot at it, but usually for misc parts like that we're forced to get them at the dealer.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine broke. I ditched it and never looked back! When I had a M6
Old 03-23-2008, 08:59 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine snapped twice. The first time I had it replaced under warranty, the second time I said screw it which was over 20,000 miles ago.

I'm thinking that most people have snapped it. I remember when they replaced it under warranty, that they had to replace the whole peddle assembly as it was really tough to just replace the spring.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a pic, I don't know what spring your talking about, I thought hydraulic pressure pushed the pedal back up
Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

I got half the spring that broke off, I left the other half as it's still adding a bit of tension to the pedal keeping it fully pressing on the clutch switch.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

hey guys, called around today and no luck, best price I've got is a dealership $65 and with the cost of gas, it'll still be cheaper for me to run over to Buffalo and try my luck with a dealership there.

Anyone got a spring they don't want or can grab one from fred beans or something cheap and send it up to me via USPS? I'll pay via paypal.

I am aware of the PITA install but the comfort of a pedal that doesn't wiggle around outweighs the install, just not the price...
Old 03-24-2008, 04:35 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone have an install guide for this? I checked my service manuals and no luck.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SladeX
hey guys, called around today and no luck, best price I've got is a dealership $65 and with the cost of gas, it'll still be cheaper for me to run over to Buffalo and try my luck with a dealership there.

Anyone got a spring they don't want or can grab one from fred beans or something cheap and send it up to me via USPS? I'll pay via paypal.

I am aware of the PITA install but the comfort of a pedal that doesn't wiggle around outweighs the install, just not the price...
I had the little white plastic bushing break on me maybe 6 months ago and i just now got around to replacing it, but i can get a spring at my local dealer for about $40. Its really not all hard to install it, just unscrew that panel thats under the steering wheel above your knees, maybe like 2 to 4 screws, then disconnect the hatch button switch, then there is another panel you need to take off, it has 2 of those black plastic "push rivets clips" or whatever you call them, and if you can reach your hand up in between all the harnesses you should be able to replace the spring in like half an hour, might have to disconnect the brake pedal switch that goes to the taillights to have some extra room.

What is the PITA install?
Old 03-29-2008, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

PITA is internet lingo for "pain in the ***"

the prob with the local dealers here is that they want to charge the "we're Canadian" fee for the spring.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal return spring