Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 woes and pains

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 woes and pains

Ok, I have researched, read, thought and still I am frustrated. My trouble is this, I can purchase t56's all day long for lt1's for about a thousand maybe a little more. Unfortunately I sold my lt1 powered f body and am now in the process of starting an LS1 RX7 and the T56's for those are about 2000 + or - some. I have the motor, the car, and basically just need a trans. Now my question for the more knowledgeable then I, I have an lt1 t56, I know it is possible to mate it to an ls1, but would I be money ahead to just pony up the dough for the ls1 t56? I Know I need a bellhousing, an input shaft, maybe even a different throw out bearing and slave cylinder but I am not sure. Can I suffice with that because of my custom application? I gotta get an aftermarket master cylinder, speedo, and what not. I think it might be easier since im not trying to put it into an f body and I am already replacing some of the items i would have an issue with. Any help would be appreciated
Old 03-23-2008, 04:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check ebay on the bellhousing. I have seen them on there for fairly cheap. You will have to swap the input shaft, but unsure as to how much that will run you. A basic rebuild for mine was around $1300 so you may save money by just buying a used T56 from someone on here. You could also contact Amber at Six Speeds Inc and see how much it would cost you just to swap the input shaft or they might work with you on some sort of swap plus a little dough for an LS tranny they may have already built. They are good people and will do their very best to help their customer's. BTW, mine was a T56 from an LT that had been retroed to fit the LS. Your throw out bearing is connected to the slave so just get a slave, and a master cylinder kit from the WS6 Store or some one similar that sells the full kit, then a clutch and you should pretty much be set.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoa, whoa, isn't the only difference the bellhousing, and hydraulics?
I shouldn't think you would need a different input shaft, else you would have to tear it down and rebuild it in that case you might as well shell out for carbon blocker rings, steel 3/4 fork and keys/pads
Old 03-24-2008, 03:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill have to do some more looking, but if the input shafts where the same then I shouldnt have sold my lt1 t56... I was almost sure they were different, can anyone confirm if they are the same or different input? The hydralics wont matter because its going in an rx7 that I have to do a different set up for anyway.