Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Needing my transmission rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Needing my transmission rebuilt

I had bought a 99 Firehawk with high miles and a bad motor about a month ago. Well since then I have bought a new motor waiting installation and a clutch. The new setup will be 347 turbo, 500-550 rwhp DD.

Previous owner said he had problems with 3rd gear. He didn't go into much detail about that or if there were any other transmission problems. I'm assuming that this trans has never been rebuilt since the car is stock. Anyways. Guess I'll have to find someone to rebuild this transmission. I really don't want to do it myself and have the risk of doing something wrong. The thing is, I don't know what to replace on this transmission but I want to have it rebuilt while I have the motor and clutch out of the car. Have heard great things and awesome customer service from Tick Performance, Six Speeds Inc, RPM, & ACE. I'm going to be slightly on a budget for the clutch & trans rebuild, so I don't know what I should do. Shipping costs for the trans are going to kill me and I don't know if there is anyone within 300 miles of here who is good with t-56 rebuilds.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Call Amber, like you have heard, great customer service. Look for one of there specials when they have free shipping...
Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Within 300 miles would probably be Gilbert and the guys at Ace Transmissions. They are nothing but stand up and great to deal with. I would give them a call or give me a call. I work with Gilbert alot. Feel free to call me for a quote or to discuss what I think you will need.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 03-24-2008, 12:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of clutch are you interested in? We're dealers for many different companies - maybe I can put you together some sort of package price that would ease the shipping cost.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Amber. Once I figure out when things are going to take place & if I decide to change from my turbo motor setup to a N/A setup I'll give you both a call.

And Joey, thanks for stopping by. Not sure on which clutch I'm interested in. I've thought about the LS7 but if I keep on the turbo route I'll want to step it up some. However right now I'm really thinking hard about getting rid of my new motor setup for a N/A 420-480 rwhp setup.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I called ACE & they are offering free shipping for a few more days, but I don't know if they charge similar prices for parts, they said expect $500-$550 for labor.

Anyways, I have a few more questions for Joey & Amber...

if I ship my transmission to either of you, will all the parts be inspected if I go with your first level rebuild package? One of those sounds good to me but I don't want to miss replacing something else if it needs it. How much could I expect for shipping roundtrip from the middle of Oklahoma? Any good tips for figuring out how to ship it, i.e. on pallet or boxed up? And I don't know if Six Speeds Inc also have clutches to add to the bill, but for Joey I figure I will need something to hold 550rwhp. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Level One Rebuild Package was created for those guys who just drive these cars daily in bone stock form. No upgrades, just simple replacements to get the transmission working correctly again. For the extra $150, it is certainly a good idea for you to go ahead and upgrade to our Level Two, which is our most popular rebuild package. It comes with a one year warranty, and it'll handle 550rwhp no problem.

Shipping will be $110 each for for you, and packaging instructions are included when we send your pre-paid label. We've streamlined the packaging process to make it easy as possible for you - no pallet or crate needed.

For 550rwhp, a SPEC Stage 3, 3+, or 5 is right up your alley. If you're getting your transmission rebuilt at the same time, we'll honor the following prices:

Stage 3 (SC093): $405 with FREE Shipping
Stage 3+ (SC093F): $540 with FREE Shipping
Stage 5 (SC095): $485 with FREE Shipping
Add $199 if you want the aluminum pressure plate
SPEC Billet Steel Flywheel (SC75S): $230
SPEC Billet Aluminum Flywheel (SC75A): $360
You can reuse your stock flywheel, but have it resurfaced before installation.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Already answered via PM.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

amber goes above and beyond for her customers, im sure she will help you out and if im not mistaken the 1a rebuild can handle 700hp
it's always a pain in the *** when your strapped for cash but going with a local shop that isn't all that familiar with the t56 is just gonna end up biting you in the *** later.
i vote sixspeedsinc
Old 03-31-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cant go wrong with Tick Performance.....I dont trust anyone but them now. they are the most honest and up front people i have ever dealt with.. I had my tranny re-done by someone eles, and was dissapointed in customer service....next time it will be TICK!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Needing my transmission rebuilt