Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

No 6th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No 6th Gear

2002 Formula M6 Mods: Kook headers, y-pipe, hi flow cats, SLP LM, MTI Lid, SLP Smooth Bellows, 3:73's, recently re-dyno tuned at Fatal Performance on a Mustang Dyno

Slight history - I recently had a new front u-joint put on, and in the process of getting on the car hard as I do every once in awhile, apparently I shattered the yoke? Maybe the new u-joint, and this happend at around 120MPH and had some really horrible noises under my car when it happend.

Had to have the drive shaft rebuilt, because whatever shattered put a hole in the factory one. I had inquired early on, if it could have or did damage anything within the transmission, mechanic told me I don't think so, seems to work fine thru all gears. Also had a new slave cylinder put in, rear main seal on transmission replaced, and broke a tranny mount.

Well, car hasn't been driven much, as I work out of town a lot.

Had it retuned at Fatal Performance, because MTI's tune was obviously bad, and they would not help me at all, after spending what I felt was plenty of money, and actually saved them money as they forgot items on my 'tab'.

Anyways! Sorry if that wasn't brief. All of a sudden, at first I was getting completely locked out of 6th, had to keep going from 5th to 6th, let clutch out, push back in, and would gain access to it. Now on the way to work, the shifter for the most part is in the notch, but not in gear...

It has been snagging in gears off and on really since I bought the car, and dealership gave the classic proclamation its normal... I suspect it to be shift for or synchro? When in a gear, the shifter does seem to have a lot of play in it. I personally feel it was messed up some what in the several times that the tranny had to be dropped. THANKS MIDAS

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

JZ
Old 03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, if it's snagging in all gears, it's either hydraulic/clutch issues and not disengaging fully, or there's issues in the shifter linkage. From the comment about "alot of play in the shifter while in gear," I think alludes to the later. The play is due to either worn/broken shift fork pads or the plastic piece that the shifter ball sits in down in the shifter linkage is broken/worn. Pull out the shifter completely and inspect that little beige plastic piece down in the linkage.
http://images.highperformancepontiac...LLET12zoom.jpg

the part I'm referring to is part 20, the isolator cup

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 03-25-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
Alright, if it's snagging in all gears, it's either hydraulic/clutch issues and not disengaging fully, or there's issues in the shifter linkage. From the comment about "alot of play in the shifter while in gear," I think alludes to the later. The play is due to either worn/broken shift fork pads or the plastic piece that the shifter ball sits in down in the shifter linkage is broken/worn. Pull out the shifter completely and inspect that little beige plastic piece down in the linkage.
http://images.highperformancepontiac...LLET12zoom.jpg

the part I'm referring to is part 20, the isolator cup
Will do. There isn't a ton of play, but alot more than I remember there being. Only question I have presently, is how do I take the hand brake handle off? So I can remove the center console and get a good look. I already know about the 10mm (believe thats what they are) bolts, from hiding my ipod control module under it in the back.

Thanks for the feedback. GREATLY appreciated.

*Edit*
Also, is this possibly due to idiots not paying attention at midas when they dropped the tranny 2-3 times? Highly possible I should say? hehe

Last edited by TurdsOfMayhem; 03-26-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Edit

Quick Reply: No 6th Gear