Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

the plug-ins on a T56

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default the plug-ins on a T56

there are two electrical harnesses on the T56 tranny that are exactly the same size and fitment. first question is, what are they too, and second question is, since either one can go into each sensor, what would happen if the two were crossed?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reverse lights are on the passenger side of the case, CAGS is the solenoid on the drivers side of the case, reverse lockout is the solenoid by the shifter (drivers side), VSS is right underneath reverse lockout.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

are the CAGS and reverse lockout the same harness as far as the connection goes? if they are, what would happen if these two were accidently switched?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

The plugs can be reversed. I think they are color-coded. Black plug / black solenoid connector. White plug/ white solenoid connector. If they are reversed, you would have reverse shift complaints( high loads getting into the gate). You would also have no skip function but who would complain about that?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:31 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Easy way, but somewhat dangerous, to figure out the two is to roll down the street doing 5-10 mph and see if you can push to shifter all the way to the right with your foot on the brake, slowing down. Once you hit 1-2mph (I think that's the speed) you should be able to put it all the way to the right and get it into reverse.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow ! That would be very ill-advised. Why would you even suggest that? The REAL easy way:If you want to determine if the plugs are correct. Try shifting into reverse with the key on and then the key off. The key off will give you a resistance load ( but you can still get reverse) if correctly powered. If there is no difference key on/ key off, the plug is incorrect OR you have a fuse blown.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:20 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Calhoon, I'm not telling him to put it into reverse. And FYI, the reverse cylenoid will only activate when you are going forward at 2-3mph I beleive. So if he rolls down the road at 4-5 mph and can push the shift (with the clutch in) all the way to the right, then it's not hooked up properly. By no means should you actually put it in reverse, or let out the clutch.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well why i am asking is because after my engine was removed and re installed, reverse is a huge PITA to get into gear. you need two hands to put it into reverse
Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Calhoon, I'm not telling him to put it into reverse. And FYI, the reverse cylenoid will only activate when you are going forward at 2-3mph I beleive. So if he rolls down the road at 4-5 mph and can push the shift (with the clutch in) all the way to the right, then it's not hooked up properly. By no means should you actually put it in reverse, or let out the clutch.
Well FYI- You are wrong The solenoid activates at a stop and up to 5mph or so.
I think your next try should be reversing the plugs.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:23 PM

Default Swapped plugs

Originally Posted by SSdreamz
are the CAGS and reverse lockout the same harness as far as the connection goes? if they are, what would happen if these two were accidently switched?
This actually just happened to me on a LS7 clutch conversion for LS1.. What happened to me is that when the car was turned on it would lock me out of all gears but 1 and 4. The car didn’t have to be running for it to happen so I know it wasn’t hydraulics or shim clearances. To fix the problem I Swapped around the VSS and RL and BOOM! My headache was over 😀 I finally had full control of the shifter..
Old 10-13-2019, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Am I the only one here who's like look up the wiring on the schematic...???

Quick Reply: the plug-ins on a T56