Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Really wierd thing happened with my tranny, need advice

Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Really wierd thing happened with my tranny, need advice

So I just got gas and started up my car. I slowly went from 1st to 4th as I'm waiting to pull out with the clutch pushed in for the hell of it, then the shifter just locked up. I couldnt move it in or out of gear. Then finally forcing it as hard as I could I got it in neutral, then in 6th. Then for about 2 minutes I couldnt move it out of 6th gear trying as hard as I could. Then I finally got it out of 6th and it was in neutral, but I couldn't move the shifter left or right. I finally got it in 2nd so I started heading home, I got on the onramp and had to force it into 4th, then again into 6th. Then I got on the offramp and it got into 2nd a little easier at the light, then a block down at the next stoplight it was majically fixed. Now it's back to normal.

As far as backround, its a 6-speed conversion car and the tranny was supposidly rebuilt before they sent it to me. It has always rattled in neutral, and the rattling goes away with the clutch pushed in or if I raise the rpm's. I tried 2 different throwout bearings and that didn't fix it so i'm pretty sure its something inside the tranny. It's been doing this since I put it in about ~25k miles ago. It shifts smoother than my dad's 00 ws6 6-speed if that matters. The tranny never grinds and I can powershift it with ease. I barley ever miss a gear, and I've been babying it for the last 2500 miles.

I have no idea what would cause this, then it majically cleared up.

Oh yeah, last time I was at the track it was a little hard to get out of 4th after the run, but that was over a month ago and it's been fine since then.

Last edited by speed_demon24; 03-28-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

After some research it sounds like broken slider keys, it looks like it's time for a rebuild. I'm guessing it happened on the 3-4 powershift at the track last time since it got stuck in 4th there.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gears Are Obviously Slipping But Look At How Bad It Is Cuz Sometimes It Wont Fix It So Ya
Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bad2dbone
Gears Are Obviously Slipping But Look At How Bad It Is Cuz Sometimes It Wont Fix It So Ya
wow.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
After some research it sounds like broken slider keys,

..it was in neutral, but I couldn't move the shifter left or right.
Broken slider keys would inhibit the sliding mechanism, but it wouldn't have any affect whatsoever on the selector pin not being able to move left or right from the neutral position. Also if you had broken a key on a slider then that slider would be affected but not the other synchros. Say if it happened in 3/4, then those gears wouldn't shift properly but 1/2, 5/6 and reverse would still work. Definitely a weird problem, I would guess it's a clutch disengagement issue, but that wouldn't explain why it suddenly cleared up.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad2dbone
Was that **** english?
Old 03-30-2008, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
Broken slider keys would inhibit the sliding mechanism, but it wouldn't have any affect whatsoever on the selector pin not being able to move left or right from the neutral position. Also if you had broken a key on a slider then that slider would be affected but not the other synchros. Say if it happened in 3/4, then those gears wouldn't shift properly but 1/2, 5/6 and reverse would still work. Definitely a weird problem, I would guess it's a clutch disengagement issue, but that wouldn't explain why it suddenly cleared up.
Clutch disengaged fine (about 2" off the floor) and it did it with the engine off as well, and every gear was effected by this.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option to check( fairly easy) is the plastic cup/socket that the shifter fits into. It is supposed to be epoxied into the offset lever of the trans. If this part is loose, it can interfere with shifting as you have described. If it is loose, replace it. The new part should be epoxied in place.
BTW you won't find the cup offered as a T56 part. It only comes epoxied to an offset lever for the T56. However, If you buy the T5 cup( it is the same) and glue it into your offset lever , you can save some $$.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by calhoon
Another option to check( fairly easy) is the plastic cup/socket that the shifter fits into. It is supposed to be epoxied into the offset lever of the trans. If this part is loose, it can interfere with shifting as you have described. If it is loose, replace it. The new part should be epoxied in place.
BTW you won't find the cup offered as a T56 part. It only comes epoxied to an offset lever for the T56. However, If you buy the T5 cup( it is the same) and glue it into your offset lever , you can save some $$.
I checked that and it came right out with no effort. It wasn't damaged so I just roughed it up and epoxied it into place. Hopefully that was it.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

opti.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Really wierd thing happened with my tranny, need advice