Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch started slipping today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clutch started slipping today...

This seemed to start happening as of today, and got worse later towards the end of the day. I have a 98 and I read that their hydraulics tend to fail, how can I know that this is the clutch failing and not the master/slave? AFAIK clutch is a centerforce no idea on the mileage but it can't be much car itself only has 79k. WOT in 4th gear from about 40mph resulted in immediate "slippage".....
Old 03-30-2008, 02:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the clutch's relaxed state, it's engaged and locked in with the engine. The hydraulics push on the pressure plate fingers and allow the clutch disk to slip. When the hydraulics fail, the throw out bearing isn't being pushed far enough resulting in the clutch disk slipping too little or not at all. Given that your problem stems from the clutch slipping too much then we can rule that out, so it's got to be the friction material worn down too far, ie. the clutch. If it's slipping immediately then it's close to being completely shot.

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 03-30-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought I had a bad clutch that ended up being a bad master. it wasn't releasing the clutch all the way during shifts so the clutch was just slipping the whole time. once it heated up none of the gears would hit hard. I assumed it was the clutch so I ordered another one. in the mean time I swapped the master and the the problem went away.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Is it possible that the clutch is getting too hot from catalytic converters recently installed? I had a shop put in some converters and they did a **** poor job, and its really cramped around that area no heat shielding either. I noticed it started slipping because I WOT it in a high gear because I wanted to hear what it would sound like with the cats, but I've had the car 2 months and never ran into this until Saturday. I can't remember it ever slipping before but I also can't remember trying to accelerate like that...

I mean the car has 78k miles, even if the clutch was installed day one it shouldn't be bad yet....
Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would stop driving it immediately
Old 03-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hndakilr
i would stop driving it immediately
I did. Is it normal for a performance clutch to last this short?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

its the clutch going out mine did the same thing started slipping in the high gears and worked its way though the others, and dont go with an other centerforce they are junk thats what i had and it died with less than 10000 miles on it

Quick Reply: Clutch started slipping today...