Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

did research didnt find exactly this for my clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did research didnt find exactly this for my clutch problem

whenever my car is cold, first start up and the first like 5-10 min of driving while everything in and around the tranny is still cold, the clutch when its in like 3rd gear or higher..slips..if i mash the gas u know the RPMs go up and the car doesnt really move all that much, but after some shifting and driving for a few minutes it seems to stop..i have a SPEC stage 3 clutch, the clutch was put in the car with approx 20k miles and now the car has 42k..do you think its possible that this clutch could be on its way out? the symptoms seem the same as a slipping clutch but the fact that they subside once the car has been runnning is wierd..
Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats exactly the same problem I have.. the Spec 3 doesn't seem to be too streetable as you have to ride it harder to get the car moving. I've got the LS7 clutch going in right now as we speak almost done with it.

edit: And the answer to your question is it is on its way out.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

That clutch is done. 42k is a lot of miles on a performance clutch anyway, it lived tis life.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Teching In

any recommendations for a new clutch completely streetable and long lasting?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

I hear good things about textralia and the LS7 clutch kit, Im having one put in my car next week, the LS7 that is, I would recomend it if you dont plan on makeing over 500hp, if you do though the textralia is the way to go.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
FormerVendor

I have posted about the results of slipping a Stage 3 before but I am happy to do it again. Slippage of any clutch will lead to faster wear...and with a pucked clutch that can inherently have a greater tendency to chatter this is something to watch out for. When a clutch chatters the normal tendency is to slip it more in hopes of reducing chatter. On a stage 3 or 4 the results of riding the pedal will actually lead to greater chatter and faster wear. If you want the smoothest thing possible then you really need to opt for a full-faced disc. This will reduce the likelyhood of chatter and lead to a unit that "feels" better and as such is more drivable. I hope this info helps. Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Teching In

ok so today..my clutch didnt slip at all..in any gear..i noticed this "slipping" in about jan-feb up here when it was very cold liek 10 degrees out..when i first started and drove the car it seemed to slip..until the car was warm..today i took it out it was about 65 degrees out..and no problems..very wierd..now im not sure if its slipping or if since its a SPEC 3 raace clutch if it needs to be warmed up/hot in order to work well..
Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^ Venom that is the EXACT same thing mine was doing. The clutch is done. Refer to my post https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...979&highlight= I have pictures of the Spec clutch that came out of the car.

Quick Reply: did research didnt find exactly this for my clutch problem