Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

No more sticking clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more sticking clutch pedal

my 99 camaro always had the clutch pedal on the floor after a wot run through 3rd gear. The car has had this problem for 3 years ,every since i bought it. I changed my trans fluid to mobil 1 and flushed my clutch hydraulics with valvoline dot 4, i couldnt tell much difference,clutch pedal still stuck on floor after 3rd gear. I installed a light clutch pedal return spring under the dash and now the problem is gone! i did this about 2 weeks ago and have made many wot runs and it has never stuck. i dont know wht i didnt think of this 3 yrs ago. there is a factory return spring setup , but it looks really to weak to me. I dont know if this is a proper fix but it works for me.........so far. let me know what you think about this , i cant see any ill effects coming from this. Just trying to help
Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pictures of this piece and it's location and where you bought it? Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you clutch pedal is sticking, odds are you are boiling the fluid or have air getting into the system, it should return on its own regardless of the clutch return spring.

Simply yanking back on the pedal without fixing the underlying problem will lead to other problems. If the clutch isn't disengaging/re-engaging properly (which is the case when you have no pedal pressure) you are REALLY hammering on your syncros for each shift. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that within a month or two of hard driving that 3rd gets stuck or refuses to go in gear.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SladeX
if you clutch pedal is sticking, odds are you are boiling the fluid or have air getting into the system, it should return on its own regardless of the clutch return spring.

Simply yanking back on the pedal without fixing the underlying problem will lead to other problems. If the clutch isn't disengaging/re-engaging properly (which is the case when you have no pedal pressure) you are REALLY hammering on your syncros for each shift. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that within a month or two of hard driving that 3rd gets stuck or refuses to go in gear.
I was thinking the same thing. Even without the pedal return spring, a properly working clutch should cause the pedal to return 95% to the top on its own.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Teching In

yeah you guys are prolly right but its seems i always had a good pedal after i just helped the clutch pedal off the floor. every one i talk to has this same sticking pedal crap. my friend has a 02 zo6 and his does the same thing. i guess i will just buy a new master,slave,clutch set and aluminum flywheel........my kids dont really need a college education.........
Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

99kmaro, could you post a picture or description of where you mounted this spring? My factory spring has been gone for a few years now.
Thanks.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
99kmaro, could you post a picture or description of where you mounted this spring? My factory spring has been gone for a few years now.
Thanks.
HA! That spring is the biggest pain in the *** to get to in the world. I just paid my brother to do it because I didn't want to deal with it (he's an ASE Chevy tech ). He said he'd rather pull and reinstall the master cylinder than just install a new spring, if that's any indication of how much of a bitch it is.

And then mine broke again, by the way. I've given up with it, but it does feel so much better with it in.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 04-21-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
HA! That spring is the biggest pain in the *** to get to in the world. I just paid my brother to do it because I didn't want to deal with it (he's an ASE Chevy tech ). He said he'd rather pull and reinstall the master cylinder than just install a new spring, if that's any indication of how much of a bitch it is.

And then mine broke again, by the way. I've given up with it, but it does feel so much better with it in.
I had to replace that Bitch also. It broke again within 3 months of replacing it. It's going to stay broke. If they improve/update the spring I'll give it another shot.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Teching In

i will try to get some pics of it. its kinda cramped under there. does anyone else have this problem? as far as i can remember ,as soon as i put my toe under the pedal it popped right back and worked fine. so i just figured i would give it a small assist. i got the spring from autozone in the HELP section. it is actually a pedal return spring. they had 2 different ones and i got the lighter one as to not add much more clutch pedal resistsnce. i swear i think it helps. if not i was wanting to get some carbon fiber synchros anyway
Old 04-09-2008, 06:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't see how a pedal return spring is going to hurt things considering GM put one in from the factory. Granted, it breaks all the time, but still, someone thought it was a good idea.

As long as the seals in the master cylinder are good, by having the pedal come up should help to 'suck' the fluid back into the master cylinder, at least in theory.