Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1400 miles after SPEC Stage 2 clutch install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 1400 miles after SPEC Stage 2 clutch install.

Before my clutch busted my shifts were sometimes kinda "rattly" going into a gear letting out of the clutch. Now on the SPEC Stage 2 it still feels the same, like if my clutch is halfway engaged while im trying to pull into my garage, it bucks like no other.

I have noticed that my master cylinder apparently got busted during my clutch installation, I see clutch fluid sprayed all over my floormat and carpet. The master cylinder had some unseen leak dripping fluid.

My question is, will a bad master cylinder actually damage my new clutch disc until I get a new master cylinder installed? Is it normal for a Stage 2 to still be sometimes real chattery around 1400 miles, or is it just my master cylinder?
Old 04-11-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think it would be the wisest idea to drive around with a master cylinder thats doing what you stated its doing. It probably wont hold enough pressure to be able to fully disengage the clutch when you go to shift which would be hard on the disk because it would have a "dragging" effect, and also hard on your syncros. If you have another car to drive i would drive that until you can get the new master installed. just my .02
Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Well I will probably be replacing the master cylinder this weekend, but will it actually damage my disc. As long as I keep the fluid topped its not that bad daily driving without racing. Im gonna do the drill mod and convert the new master cylinder to adjustable when I get it.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:32 PM
FormerVendor

If hydraulic fluid gets into the bell-housing then yes, that could cause an issue...specifically a contaminated disc...but based on the location of the master this is unlikely. I wouldn't drive it any more than I had to with this issue because you could cause damage to the transmission because of shifting with the clutch partially engaged. That notchiness you feel is a result of the lack of full release. Get the Master replaced ASAP.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
If hydraulic fluid gets into the bell-housing then yes, that could cause an issue...specifically a contaminated disc...but based on the location of the master this is unlikely. I wouldn't drive it any more than I had to with this issue because you could cause damage to the transmission because of shifting with the clutch partially engaged. That notchiness you feel is a result of the lack of full release. Get the Master replaced ASAP.
x2. Driving the car with a clutch that's not fully disengaging is BAD news for the transmission (not to mention putting hot spots on and destroying your clutch). It only took a couple hundred miles of mine being driven like that to completely wipe out the synchro teeth on the first gear and to glaze over the blocker ring, both of which had to be replaced, all of this on a BRAND NEW built transmission. Fix it now.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok so i finally got my master cylinder installed today. What a BITCH. 5.5 hours start to finish. Man my car feels so much better. This is the most force the SPEC clutch has had on it since the installation. I can smell the clutch as if its just getting broken in again kinda.

Shifts are nicer, firmer, and less sloppy. I can now shift without it bucking and chattering like a mother. it feels like it puts more power to the ground, and I know its not placebo because the whole time before it, it just kinda died at top end, kinda like the clutch was slipping