Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

skip shift solenoid problem?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skip shift solenoid problem?

Ok i had the skip shif eliminator resistor pluged up to the wire that goes to the solenoid. I was racing the other day and my car did not want to go into 3rd at all or any other gear after that. i coasted in neutral until i pulled over and realized my clutch pedal was stuck on the floor. i pulled it out and drove home good as new. the next day i go to work and i put the car in third and it grinds on the way in. and its beend doing it ever since. I looked under the car and the skip shift looks fried. and is hot and all the insulation that was around it melted out. so i took it off and connect it back to the tranny and still the same problem. What do yall suggest is wrong. I have done a search but nothing comes out to my symptoms. The gear goes in in regular low rpm shifting, but with a grind. And not at all in high rpms. Would appreciate the help. Thanks
Old 04-13-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Bump TTT
Old 04-13-2008, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think skip shift is your problem. Sounds to me your clutch isnt releasing all the way. Skip shift only locks you out of 2nd & 3rd.

Last edited by BarneyMobile; 04-13-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

So if it was the bad skip shift it would not let me into 2nd as well? i bled the fluids and now the pedal doesnt stick but it still doesnt let me into third. What makes third different from my other gears not going in? all the others go right in. I dont get it because i would have thought that before it went out the way it did it would have started grinding a time before this happened. I drove the car today and i cant get into third at all. it just seems weird that from one day to the other it messed up. Tranny only has 20,000 miles
Old 04-13-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

I'm subscribing. Maybe our threads will help one another out. I'll have to check my ship shift tomorrow when I'm doing everything else . Are you using your stock shifter?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Yup stock shifter. If all else fails sixspeedsinc is right around the corner.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

skip shift does not keep you out of third. it only keeps you out of second. you can go from first to third when skip shift is engaged. So like said above I don't think ship shift is your problem.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trans99am
skip shift does not keep you out of third. it only keeps you out of second. you can go from first to third when skip shift is engaged. So like said above I don't think ship shift is your problem.
NOOOOOOO!!! How hard is it o attemp my own work. I have done an engine swap and cam install things like that. But for some reason i am scared to jump into this one.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

your clutch and or hydraulics are toast. this has nothing to do with the skip shift.

if the clutch is OK now and the prob is only in 3rd, then 3rd is probably toast too.

try bleeding the clutch/
Old 04-14-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BadGTho
your clutch and or hydraulics are toast. this has nothing to do with the skip shift.

if the clutch is OK now and the prob is only in 3rd, then 3rd is probably toast too.

try bleeding the clutch/
Clutch works fine. I bled the clutch the next day and now it doesnt stick, but third still doesnt go.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Ok i had the skip shif eliminator resistor pluged up to the wire that goes to the solenoid. I was racing the other day and my car did not want to go into 3rd at all or any other gear after that. i coasted in neutral until i pulled over and realized my clutch pedal was stuck on the floor. i pulled it out and drove home good as new. the next day i go to work and i put the car in third and it grinds on the way in. and its beend doing it ever since. I looked under the car and the skip shift looks fried. and is hot and all the insulation that was around it melted out. so i took it off and connect it back to the tranny and still the same problem. What do yall suggest is wrong. I have done a search but nothing comes out to my symptoms. The gear goes in in regular low rpm shifting, but with a grind. And not at all in high rpms. Would appreciate the help. Thanks
Did you put the resistor on the right selenoid?? There are 2 different ones under there.....this happened to me when I had it on the wrong one.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Which one is the right one? I put it on the side of the torque arm. was that the righ one? how did you fix this. I already reconnected it back to stock and still no solution.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: skip shift solenoid problem?