Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tranny install question

I am fixing to install my new t-56 and was wondering if any one has ever installed one with out taking the bellhousing off of the motor? I was looking at it and that looked like the easiest way. I just really don't want to get into having to mess with the hydraulics ( bleeding them and what not after having to take **** apart) Let me know what you think would be the easiest way to go about it. BTW I have a new tranny and just have to swap them out. Thanks for your suggestions in advance!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the key to having a long lasting and healthy tranny is the hydralics! if u dont want to bleed it or atleast do something about it, you wont be able to shift at high rpms or disaengage the clutch completly! the bleeding is not hard at all, and anyways when you are seating the new tranny in you must loosen the bleeder on the slave so it can compress and the tranny can seat into place! without doing that, things can be more difficult!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:20 AM
12 Second Club

Well part of the reason I do not want to mess with the hydraulics is because everything was replaced a little over a 1000 miles ago. I understand that the key to a proper working tranny is the hydraulics, and that is why I do not want to mess with them! lol. I was just wandering if it were possible to swap them without unbolting the bellhousing from the motor.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure u can mount and dismount the tranny without removing the bell housing. I have taken my trans out 2 times now without unbolting the bell housing.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you can. I just pulled, sent out, and then reinstalled my transmission from the car without removing the bellhousing (or the torque arm, for that matter ). As long as your clutch is working perfectly when you put it back together, you won't need to rebleed it, but removing the bellhousing itself has nothing to do with the hydraulics. The slave still has to come off the transmission, although I guess you could technically try to remove the tranny without disengaging the line from the master to the slave (if you drop the tranny, though, you'll probably rip it apart and screw a lot of stuff up).

Once it's all back together, just test the clutch with the dead stop disengagement test to make sure it's still working how it's supposed to and fully disengaging. If not, you'll probably have to rebleed the system.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Ok one more question.... I was talking to a guy today and he said something about the hydraulics on the slave being a quick disconnect style and that I wouldn't have to bleed the system after all...... Is this true? I have never been into one of these cars and am not toally sure how it all works and just kind of need a little push in the right direction with the whole thing. Is there a sticky anywhere with a how to? just kinda of wandering what all steps will need to be taken.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackonblack02_Z
Ok one more question.... I was talking to a guy today and he said something about the hydraulics on the slave being a quick disconnect style and that I wouldn't have to bleed the system after all...... Is this true? I have never been into one of these cars and am not toally sure how it all works and just kind of need a little push in the right direction with the whole thing. Is there a sticky anywhere with a how to? just kinda of wandering what all steps will need to be taken.
Yes it is a quick disconnect if you want to call it that, the line going into the slave has a plastic fitting that you have to push down on the pull out of the slave. Just use 1 or 2 flat head screw drivers to push the fitting down, then it should just slide right out of the slave. I will put a link below that shows a master cylinder swap and it will show u pictures of the fitting in the slave. However I would recommend bleeding any system after installing the tranny again especially after pulling the line b/c u want to release the bleeder valve on the slave when reinstalling to ensure it seats properly. So u already have to tighten the bleeder u might as well bleed it while ur there. The link will take u to a good site, for a quick view of the quick disconnect click install documents, then scroll down to transmission and u will see a mcleod adjustable master cylinder install and a mcleod clutch install which will show u how to remove the trans. Hope this helps out.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Quick Reply: tranny install question