Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Centerforce clutches suck for my LS1

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Centerforce clutches suck for my LS1

I told centerforce my problem, called there many times, they said to get there fw cause under hard acceleration and high rpms the centrifical weights shift, well I did that and still does not shift on high rpm shifting. I have new master cylinder,and slave. I ve decided to get another clutch kit. Ive wasted money on this piece of junk. You guys know I had posted here before with this same problem, and it is not fixed.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a Textralia and be done with your problems.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just might thanks.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When bought my SS it had a centerforce df clutch that wouldnt shift @ high rpms. Then i went to the LS7 clutch which is now doing the same thing, This saturday i going to a spec3+ with a fidanza alu. fw.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont you still have the 11" DF version? If so then you cant badmouth all Centerforce products. That clutch was outdated a LONG time ago. Did you get the clutch and flywheel balanced this time? Or did you just throw it back in? If you didnt get them balanced then you cant expect it to work right. I have mentioned this several times.

Its weird how my 12" DF Centerforce has lasted over 20,000 miles on it and still shifts just fine at 6900 rpm.

If money really isnt an issue and you dont want to get an up to date centerforce then I say quit jacking with any other clutch. Just buy a textralia and be done with it. Or go the cheaper route and go LS7/LS2 combo. Either one seems to be pretty good from what I have heard.

Brent
Old 04-17-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
dont you still have the 11" DF version? If so then you cant badmouth all Centerforce products. That clutch was outdated a LONG time ago. Did you get the clutch and flywheel balanced this time? Or did you just throw it back in? If you didnt get them balanced then you cant expect it to work right. I have mentioned this several times.

Its weird how my 12" DF Centerforce has lasted over 20,000 miles on it and still shifts just fine at 6900 rpm.

If money really isnt an issue and you dont want to get an up to date centerforce then I say quit jacking with any other clutch. Just buy a textralia and be done with it. Or go the cheaper route and go LS7/LS2 combo. Either one seems to be pretty good from what I have heard.

Brent
I just explaned above that I bought the centerforce fw #700142 for LS1, to go along with the clutch. This flywheel already came balanced, I just bolted it on. Still sucks, cannot shift pass 5500 rpm. With my cam there is still more power that can come out. Yes I have the 11" version. Centerforce still sells it. I dont know why.And it still screwing up LS1 trannies.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

yes I see you got the flywheel from centerforce. BUT you didnt get the clutch and flywheel BALANCED TOGETHER. So you just stated your problem. And you still have the 11" version which shouldnt even be on the market anymore. Its a piece of ****.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
yes I see you got the flywheel from centerforce. BUT you didnt get the clutch and flywheel BALANCED TOGETHER. So you just stated your problem. And you still have the 11" version which shouldnt even be on the market anymore. Its a piece of ****.
Both Clutch and Fw are already balanced as an assembly. There does not have to be any futher balancing,according to CF. I gave it a try and will never buy there product again. If it works for you than good for you. I felt that I wasted money and time from them. I called CF Tech and still same ol situation.
That is what upsets me the most, theystill sell the 11inch version. Why cant they just do a recall and refund the people money or give them a new and better clutch.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also am very fed up with my centerforce. I have the 12" version for SC/NO2/Turbo but I only have a bolt on car. I have never had any high rpm shifting poblems but the clutch now slips like crazy in any gear over second and it only had 12k miles on it. I was told by centerforce that I have been launching too hard(Even though I have 200hp/tq less than it is rated for and have never launched it above 2k rpms due to a stock 10bolt) and they do not sell the disc by itself and the only option is to buy a "light metal" disc. So I bought that just to get me buy after my H/C swap but eventually I am going with a Tex.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Centerforce is JUNK. We've had quite a few come back to the shop and many complaining about high rpm shifting problems. You can try taking off the weights on the pressure plate like i told you, that might help. Get a real clutch.. get a McLeod.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
Centerforce is JUNK. We've had quite a few come back to the shop and many complaining about high rpm shifting problems. You can try taking off the weights on the pressure plate like i told you, that might help. Get a real clutch.. get a McLeod.
i have to agree centerforce is junk! never heard any good out of them. i went with a ram and it hasent givin me any problems at all and i run the **** out of it
Old 04-17-2008, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

I guess I am just one of the lucky ones. But I am pretty dissapointed that they would still sell the 11" version. And they dont seem to stand by their product like they used to. Good luck with your clutch searching! Hope you can get it figured out. I know it sucks not being able to drive your car like you should be able to.

Brent
Old 04-18-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Most ppl having the problems are on the 11" version. I have 4k on my 12" and drive the hell out of it shifting at 6600

Quick Reply: Centerforce clutches suck for my LS1