Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What do U Guys think of Spec 3 Clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default What do U Guys think of Spec 3 Clutch.

I am about 400 rwhp, Is this a good clutch for my application. The car mostly is a daily driver and some track.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spec is a very on/off clutch. You wont be able to slip the clutch very much in daily driving. I have heard sevearl stories on this site about Spec clutches "blowing up" and ripping holes through the bellhousing and floor. I dont know about you but I would rather not worry about it. Now that isnt saying Specs arent good clutches. I have many friends that have Specs and they seem to be ok. But it will be very on/off compared to stock or the centerforce you have now.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

I've had 2 spec's. Spec 3 lasted about 15k bolt ons only, mostly street driving. First time I put slicks on it it started slipping at the track. This is bolt on only. Put a 3+ in when I did the h/c. Broke it in a good 2k before I put the slicks back on and went to the track. Lasted about 6 runs before it started slipping. Dead hook off the light leaving at 5k. It wont slip at all on the street no matter what I do. Tires break loose first. They just dont seem to last at the track. Only 7k on the 3+ all together. I'm putting a Tex 700 in on Saturday. I hope the Tex will hold up at the track.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm driving a car with a SPEC 3+ in it now and it drives like stock.No chatter,very smooth engagement.

THe #1 problem I see with SPEC cars is bad installs.Just because that shim comes with it NEVER means you should use it.Alot of blown clutches used the shim when it shouldn't be used and the clutches were actually slipping all the time due to the slave cylinder putting pressure on the clutch.You should check slave/PP clearance on every clutch install.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
Spec is a very on/off clutch. You wont be able to slip the clutch very much in daily driving. I have heard sevearl stories on this site about Spec clutches "blowing up" and ripping holes through the bellhousing and floor. I dont know about you but I would rather not worry about it. Now that isnt saying Specs arent good clutches. I have many friends that have Specs and they seem to be ok. But it will be very on/off compared to stock or the centerforce you have now.
SPECS are not the only brand clutch that explodes.I've pulled a few different brands out that have done that.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spec 3 here. Have ~1k miles on it, doesn't chatter at all. It is pretty grabby, but I like it that way. I agree with slowhawk regarding the shim, mine wouldn't fully release with the shim installed so I tossed it.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

I agree with Slowhawk I have a Spec 3 and it feels very close to stock. I had a good shop put it in and have been very happy with it. I am at about 400hp as well so I think it would be a good clutch for you also.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

It seems that there is some confusion about the feel and overall result of certain clutch stages. If you buy a stage 3 you should be prepared for a clutch that is quicker to engage and that is more prone to chatter due to its pucked design. If you want something with a smoother engagement then you should opt for a stage that utilizes a full-faced disc. It really is a pretty simple concept once you understand what to expect from each stage. If any of your have any questions about the best application for your needs/uses just ask and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2008, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm putting my Spec3+ in tomorrow. I'll let ya kno what I think. Right now I have pretty high hopes for this clutch.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Mines been great for the last 15K for my stock-ish DD. Course, it's starting to slip bad now. I might play the field next time, but it's been a wonderful clutch up to this point. never any chatter or anything.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

I had a spec 3 on my car for a few years, put about 15k miles on it and it was still holding up well when I removed it from my car. Hell, the new owner doesn't have any complaints. It held the power at the track on BFG's really well, never slipped, and I'm putting down ~411/401 so pretty close to your power levels. To hold power, it did the job well. Enough to go through two 10-bolts and a driveshaft...

Now, for daily use, it really was getting on my nerves. It is a very grabby clutch, either on or off. I guess that's my biggest complaint about it. You can't really slip it, and if you just want to go for a nice cruise, it can get you (me) irrate pretty quickly. That is main reason I decided to replace it with an LS7 clutch. Much more tame when you just want to drive.

I installed the clutch myself, but I'm not exactly new to installing them, so take that for what it's worth (installed ~5 clutches). Anyways, that's my .02.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Spec 3 lasted 8,000 miles; my brother's Spec 3 lasted 12,000 miles, both of us with a little over 400rwhp. Some people have good luck with Spec, some don't. It's like that with most clutch companies out there, but I have personally had bad experiences with Spec. Just make sure you don't ride the clutch at all or you can say goodbye to it very quickly. That metallic material and puck style disk don't like slippage at all.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

I have a spec 3 in mine with bolt-ons right now and I like it. Like mentioned above though, it is either on or off. Weather permitting, next friday I'll see how it holds up to ET Streets. My buddy is also running one on his track only car. Not sure how many passes he has exactly. I know he's there almost every weekend the track is open, but it's been on there for 3yrs leaving at 5500rpms. So it can't be that bad.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

How do you check PP/slave clearance?
Old 05-05-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Hopefully in the next few weeks I can tell you how it feels. My LT1 should be putting down some 400ish rwhp and I'm going to be running the Spec 3. Hopefully it will be a nice clutch, I'm looking foward to it
Old 05-05-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

spec 3+ and good to go
Old 05-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

well i have a spec 3 clutch and love it personally. have not had one problem. it si kind of a in or out clutch but when you start making power your choices on comfort start to go away. i have a litlle over 10,000 miles on mine and i just put a new 370 ci on it and it did great. i am running a moser 9in with a 4:33 gear. i made 485rwhp and 446rwtq and didnt phase it. even sprayed a 100 shot and 600 rwtq later still great. i have been doin alot of clutch swaps lately and no matter what clutch people use. i tell them that break in is critical. for 500 miles not even over 3,000 rpm. just baby the hell out of it. and you should be good. good luck bro i love my spec 3.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Launching!

I have a Spec 3+ in my car, with their aluminum flywheel and its been a great clutch. Does everything well. I think the key is the install (as others have said) and the break-in period is crucial. If you don't have the self control to properly break the clutch in, you will have trouble. I put somewhere around 800 miles of easy around town driving on mine before doing anything crazy and at least another couple hundred before hitting hard at the strip.

I have 10k on mine, putting 420 to the wheels and it holds just fine. When I used to drag race it, I'd dump the clutch at 5000rpm-6000rpm and no complaints with ET streets out back. Now I autox mostly so that's not too rough on the clutch. But, when this one goes another spec will takes its place, no doubt.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, Amber @ SixSpeedsInc recommended the Spec-3 for what I'm going to be doing (about 410-430 hp to start, not a DD car) & since I trust them to know a bit more about the subject than I do, I went ahead & ordered it.

She's already emphasized that break-in is crucial (as stated above), so I'm guessing (& hoping) that it'll work out well. If not, I may try the LS7 clutch, although from what I understand, I'll already be making enough power to frag that one, without any of the other mods I'm getting...
Old 05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

mine last 4mo. Never saw the track. Daily Driven. Wasnt driven for a month. Broke it in nice and easy for 500 miles. It never saw past 125mph. I am digging into the car now. I think that the flywheel and clutch seized together. It was installed by a great shop that knows thier stuff. Hell my textrilla lasted a lot longer and took a ton more abuse by far. So now I am shopping again for a clutch. Wish there was a way to have some backing with things like clutchs since sometimes there are problems that happen and they dont last long sometimes and thats a crappy way to spend alot of money every few months.