Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Couple t56 removal/installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple t56 removal/installation questions

So I've helped my friend do his t56 multiple times but it figures the time I do it to my own car I run into the issues .

Basically I installed the McLeod Bellhousing, a new clutch, the remote bleeder, and put everything back together. I go to bleed the slave and it won't bleed all the air out and I discover the bottom of the bellhousing has some fluid on it which means the slave is leaking. So now I have to pull everything back apart .

The questions I have are this:

1. Is there any sort of plug to plug the output shaft of the T56 to keep it from leaking the fluid out? I'd rather not have to drain and try to save that brand new fluid I put in or have to buy MORE fluid. I do not have an extra driveshaft or yoke to use so is there something else I could buy cheap or am I gonna have to just drain and reuse or replace?

2. Can I bleed the slave with it hanging free before reinstalling it as long as all lines are attached? If it's the remote bleeder leaking from not being too tight or if there's a leak somewhere else I'd like to be able to see what the problem is and make sure I fix it. Will this work or does it have to be on the trans? If it has to be on the trans, does the trans have to be bolted in or could I bolt it to the trans and keep the trans back from the bellhousing?

3. Any suggestions on a transmission jack? I was looking at the ratcheting one at harbor freight for $60. I'm just tired of balancing it on the regular jack with my friend trying not to drop it.

Any input is greatly appreciated. I'm just so disgusted with this as it took quite a while to get this far and now I have to redo all that work .
Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1. Drain and reuse the fluid. I use Amsoil and it comes in a gallon container so all I did was cut the top off and collected the fluid.

2. I don't think so as the slave has to be compressed. I'm not sure on a way to test if it's leaking without hooking the tranny up. Hopefully someone can give some input on this.

3. A T56 weight is around 130-140lbs so you shouldn't need an expensive tranny jack. I say take a close look at the $60 one and buy it. I should buy one sometime; seems like I'm always pulling a tranny out of something every year.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Do not bleed the slave with it hanging free. I have seen people over extend them by doing this. It can ruin the slave. I'd think you could apply some hydro pressure to it to check for leaks if you want. But I would not try to bleed it until it's installed.

Last edited by chuckyt1; 04-24-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I can just easily find the leak and get it put back together. I hope the slave didn't crack for some reason, it's pretty new. I didn't have the line in it though so maybe it's just the remote bleeder.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed my slave/clutch/remote bleeder and had opened the bleeder during trans install. and now fluid leaks out but only when i start up the car... did you ever figure out what your problem was?

Thanks,
Troy
Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Troy
I just installed my slave/clutch/remote bleeder and had opened the bleeder during trans install. and now fluid leaks out but only when i start up the car... did you ever figure out what your problem was?

Thanks,
Troy
Yeah, basically it wasn't the remote bleeder, it ended up being the slave was blown out and leaking from the seal. It seems the Mcleod Bellhousing is 1/4" longer then the stock with the plate in place (although not mentioned anywhere in the documentation that came with it). This was causing the slave to not quite contact the clutch properly and the slave cylinder blew out (this is the best guess of why it occurred). My friend machined me a 1/4" spacer for the slave, I picked up a new cylinder from a local store and after bleeding it was fine, no leaks.

It sounds like you have a slightly different problem. Does it leak out the bleeder or the slave itself?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply, just realized you are in Neshanic Station, I drive through that area all the time for work. Anyway, after more checking, nothing is leaking out of the bleeder it seems to be just coming right out of the bottom of the bellhousing... Weird thing is it holds pressure fine till I start up the car.

Quick Reply: Couple t56 removal/installation questions