Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch issues

so i just replaced my clutch in my 00 T/A recently. i have a ram slave, a spec stg 1 clutch, drill mod, but an OEM master cylinder.master cylinder was replaced with a new one but not a ram or any kind of performance one. i changed the clutch because i had master problems and thought it had something to do with my slave so while replacing the slave i put a clutch in as well.

this setup did awesome for a while, but now the clutch slips in high gear and low rpm only. over time its started to work itself into the lower gears. but i just did the clutch test where you go 30 mph and put it in sixth then put it to the floor. and the first and second time no slippage but the second two times it slipped like hell.

when putting trans fluid in my trans i think that i may have put a little much because i didnt use the fill plug. maybe it fluid shooting out of a blown seal, maybe. or maybe the master isnt capable of pulling the fluid back out of the slave after sending it there. i dont know what caused this to happen, but i do know that now i have got to replace a clutch because of it.

ANY THOUGHTS???? ANY HELP WOULD BE FANTASTIC.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

much fluid in the transmission wouldn't cause slippage. slipping of the clutch is all about the clutch not holding anymore.

If you had transmission fluid spraying around, you'd find some nice transmission fluid puddles underneath the car where you park. The clutch has a vent hole for fluid to come out during a bleed.

I would say you killed the clutch. If the hydraulics weren't bled properly or the slave shimmed according to the spec clutch's required shim, then you could have been draggin the clutch during shifts which could have caused excess wear on the clutch and eventually lead to it's failing to hold anymore.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

ok so im gonna prbably sound stupid on this one but when i got to the shim, i didnt know what the hell it was and proceeded to intsall everything. from doing all of my research on the spec stuff now that i have a fucked up on, i think that i should have put that shim in there shouldnt i. lol.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 PM
FormerVendor

If you pedal is low then you should be using the shim. It installs behind the slave cylinder. Let me know if you have any further questions. As a side note, there is paperwork in the zip-lock bag included with our clutches that explains the location for shim install. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

yeah man i know that there are instructions, but i got the thought running through my head that i new what was going on because of all the times ive changed clutches and just went with the flow: apparently the wrong thing to do. but it shouldnt have worn that fast though should it. ive only had it for maybe two or three months
Old 04-24-2008, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

itll be at least a week before i can diagnose what it is cuasing it. because when i pull that damn pain in the *** tranny off, im doing what i can to fix what is wrong and/or what is on its way out
Old 04-24-2008, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Wear is dependent on a number of factors. Ultimately until I see it and get some measurements from you on disc thickness it is hard to know if the clutch is worn. Let me know when you get it out and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

when i put it in it also chattered alot in first and reverse. the clutch has been slippin now for almost a week so its probably pretty much shot by now. ya know. but it still has a good bit of grabbage in low gear.

Quick Reply: clutch issues