Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help, grinding noise when I push in the clutch

Old 04-23-2008, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help, grinding noise when I push in the clutch

well, all started today, no hard driving or anything and all of a sudden I couldn't get it into any gear at a stop, after pumping the clutch and forcing it into gear I eventually got moving, once moving it got better... but still a little notchy... I decided to go home and let it cool and try to drive it when cool

well...

just went to drive it cool and it feels notchy going into gears but goes easy,

however, as an example if I was at 3k in 1st gear and pushed in the clutch as the motor is revving down it makes a very loud grinding noise from the tranny/clutch area like something is spinning against metal, like a bearing went out or something.

it does this in every gear right when I push in the clutch and eventually whatever is spinning stops (guessing the input shaft), but when in gear it sounds and drives fine... it reminds me of when the throwout bearing went out in my old mustang 5.0...

right now it's driveable, but i am scared to drive it

i'm completely clueless about this stuff... it is an '02 camaro, lid and headers, as far as i know stock clutch at 107k...

what is the first things to check?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-23-2008, 02:28 AM
On The Tree

update... wow so i'm a complete idiot and there was absolutely no fluid in the reservoir whatsoever and the drop or two in there was solid black I filled it up but haven't driven it, I should bleed it now first before trying, right?

think that's the problem, or by driving it that way I fucked something else up?
Old 04-23-2008, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

well i filled it to no avail... any ideas?
Old 04-23-2008, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Any fluid coming out of that slot in the bottom of the bellhousing? Sounds like a throw out bearing but, if you leaked out the fluid, you might have a bad slave.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

crawled under it today, no leaking, looked everywhere... filled and bled the clutch, still same problem... it only does it when in gear with the clutch pushed in, if in neutral it doesn't do it....

someone please help!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a bleed didn't solve it AND you are missing fluid, it had to have gone somewhere (closed system aka you've got a leak). If that was the case, then driving during this condition would have had you dragging the clutch and eventually something in the transmission will give. The cheaper option is to change the master, but if you pull for the slave, may as well change the clutch in the process too and hope the transmission is ok.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SladeX
If a bleed didn't solve it AND you are missing fluid, it had to have gone somewhere (closed system aka you've got a leak). If that was the case, then driving during this condition would have had you dragging the clutch and eventually something in the transmission will give. The cheaper option is to change the master, but if you pull for the slave, may as well change the clutch in the process too and hope the transmission is ok.

honestly, i don't know if it has ever had fluid since i've owned the car... i have never checked it... the pedal has felt good and has been consistent for the 2 years i've had it
Old 04-24-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

TO bearing or new clutch time
Old 04-24-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

There are two things that will cause grinding with the clutch pushed in and without moving the shifter, pilot bearing and throwout bearing. I had this happen with a bad pilot bearing, all the needle bearings fell out and ground up the end of my input shaft so I had to replace that too. You will for sure need to pull the transmission either way so do that asap. The fluid issue is not your biggest problem right now.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by atxz/28maro
crawled under it today, no leaking, looked everywhere... filled and bled the clutch, still same problem... it only does it when in gear with the clutch pushed in, if in neutral it doesn't do it....

someone please help!
And after this post i'm 99% sure it's the pilot bearing. In neutral with clutch disengaged, the input shaft will spin the same speed as the engine because it's not hooked to the mainshaft and the pilot bearing is binding to it. But in gear with the clutch disengaged, the input shaft is forced to spin at a speed other than engine speed, so the input shaft spins against the broken pilot bearing, hence the grinding.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

just got the cottman "21 point inspection" for free they said it was the tranny and they don't have the tools to touch it, not that i would let them anyway.

so far 2 people who have driven it say tranny, but i don't see how... I really can't afford this right now so am hoping it's something fairly easy...

is it worth me trying to change the fluid and see what happens?, or just start ripping it apart?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

k, nevermind just re-read your post... this doesn't sounds fun

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help, grinding noise when I push in the clutch