Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

? on B&M ripper

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? on B&M ripper

Been reading and searching a lot of the polls on here about shifters. But one thing I can't come to a conclusion on is why the B&M Ripper always ends up last and there doesn't seem to be too much input on this shifter either. It seems like a great design especially with the solid one piece stick and B&M stuff (as far as what I've used) has always been great. Can someone shed some light as to why this shifter doesn't seem to be more widely used? What charactersitic of it make it not a good choice?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt like mine because 1) it didnt feel as positive and mechanical as the Pro 5.0. I wanted the notchyness. and 2) the one piece stick doesnt let you change the stick... My shifter was WAY too high. And I wanted to be able to change it to shorten it. Plus...being able to remove the shifter handle, and not the whole base is nice when removing the motor and trans or the trans. The holes for the shifter are easy to strip, and the less I have to remove/replace them the better.

Those are just my reasons though...

J.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for that info ghettocruiser, any more thoughts on this?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

I think it is mostly because you can't put a shorter stick on it. I am in the minority in that the short sticks are not comfortable for me. My B&M is just the right height and I love it.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
I didnt like mine because 1) it didnt feel as positive and mechanical as the Pro 5.0. I wanted the notchyness. and 2) the one piece stick doesnt let you change the stick... My shifter was WAY too high. And I wanted to be able to change it to shorten it. Plus...being able to remove the shifter handle, and not the whole base is nice when removing the motor and trans or the trans. The holes for the shifter are easy to strip, and the less I have to remove/replace them the better.

Those are just my reasons though...

J.
That was pretty much my exact experience. It felt so sloppy to me I thought it was the stock shifter until I yanked it out to replace it with a Pro 5.0. Not an impressive piece of equipment IMO.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

I love my B&M.....short shifts, positive engagement, and very smooth
Old 04-27-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

I love my B&M but i would like it better w/ a short stick, but as we know u can't
Old 04-27-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm quite happy with my B&M, although I've never driven a car with the Pro 5.0.

I would definitely NOT call the B&M "sloppy" though?! Maybe your shifter was getting really worn out, ^ ^ nighthawk?? :dunno:

While it would be nice sometimes to have the shifter slightly lower, I'm not that hung up on it. If you had access to a machine shop, you could always get it cut shorter and re-threaded.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Another B&M here. I like mine alot. Compared to the hurst IMO it's night and day. Once you adjust the shifter like you want it it's great.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another closet B&M fan here...if you really want to shorten the stick, you can definitely take it to the machine shop and they can cut off however much you want and rethread what's left. I actually have 2 Rippers...one that is 2" shorter, and one that is the length it comes right out of the box. The 2" shorter one is WAY too short, and it increases the shift effort way too much with a stock style ****, but works great with a pistol grip handle. The other is the perfect height for me with a regular ****...

I HATE short sticks...granted, that sounds a little on the homarosexual side.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
It takes a real man to admit he has/prefers a short stick .
Old 04-27-2008, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm definitely going with the ripper, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some significant design flaws or bad characteristics about it cause all I ever hear from my friends is how the Pro 5.0 is the shifter touched by the hand of god (u know kind of like the LS1).
Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Another closet B&M fan here...if you really want to shorten the stick, you can definitely take it to the machine shop and they can cut off however much you want and rethread what's left. I actually have 2 Rippers...one that is 2" shorter, and one that is the length it comes right out of the box. The 2" shorter one is WAY too short, and it increases the shift effort way too much with a stock style ****, but works great with a pistol grip handle. The other is the perfect height for me with a regular ****...

Old 05-01-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i never liked the b&m, it was marginally better than the factory hurst. I have used the pro-5.0 in several other f-bods and it is in a different league.

Quick Reply: ? on B&M ripper