Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Having Problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having Problems.....

First off I am losing hydraulic fluid. I'm sure it is the master cylinder leaking. Which one should I get?

Second, my tranny is getting harder and harder to shift. I am getting some noise which sounds like my throwout bearing sometimes when I push in the clutch.

Third, my shifter sometimes shakes really bad and I am getting a bunch of noise from my tranny. Thinking I may have torn something up in it.

Fourth, rear main seal is leaking, could this be getting oil on the clutch and causing it to mess up.

Where should I start and what should I replace first?? The car is a 96 Bird with a build LE2 motor.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd start with replacing the master cylinder. You've got 2 choices, the GM one which comes prefilled/bled with a hydaulic line, or an aftermarket that comes empty without the line.

If you go aftermarket install the master cylinder with the reservoir attached and full. Bench bleed the cylinder until you can't depress the plunger by hand. See if things get better once you get the hydaulics sorted out.

To answer your question about the leaky rear seal, yes it's possible that oil is contaminating the clutch. Most likely scenario would be that it's leaking onto the flywheel. I'd expect your clutch to be slipping if this was the case.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike44138
I'd start with replacing the master cylinder. You've got 2 choices, the GM one which comes prefilled/bled with a hydaulic line, or an aftermarket that comes empty without the line.

If you go aftermarket install the master cylinder with the reservoir attached and full. Bench bleed the cylinder until you can't depress the plunger by hand. See if things get better once you get the hydaulics sorted out.

To answer your question about the leaky rear seal, yes it's possible that oil is contaminating the clutch. Most likely scenario would be that it's leaking onto the flywheel. I'd expect your clutch to be slipping if this was the case.
Well the clutch really isn't slipping, just the throwout bearing is making noise. I can go full throttle in 3rd and feel no slipping.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it out at low RPMs and low speed, but it in 6th like you're lugging the engine and give it full throttle and hold. If it's got an issue with slipping you'll get it here.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Clutch started slipping last night, I am about to order a McLeod Adj master cylinder today. Found out where I was leaking fluid from and it is indeed the Master Cylinder. Gonna replace that and see if I can drive the car around for a while longer on the slippin clutch before I dish out another grand to get the clutch fixed.

On top of all that, I think driving it with a faulty MC caused my tranny to start messin up, I am getting a lot of noise out of it and it is hard going in and out of gear. So after the grand for the clutch I may need another grand for the tranny rebuild

Any other suggestions??

Quick Reply: Having Problems.....